Wednesday, February 01, 2017

Honjitsu wa, Ohigara mo Yoku Eps 1+2

The surprise of the season so far. Honjitsu wa, Ohigara mo Yoku was not on my radar because Higa Minami's big eyed, fake facial expressions gets on my nerves. Not as bad as Fukada Kyoko as I don't mind her as a supporting character but her as the main character does not get me excited.

Honjitsu wa, Ohigara mo Yoku also has the Hammer Session teacher, another non WOWOW regular who no one would say is a decent actor. I remember seeing him do some morning cooking show on Japanese tv before.

However, Honjitsu wa, Ohigara mo Yoku has taught me to never underestimate WOWOW shows because if you put not so good actors, except for Hasegawa Kyoko with a good story, you will get an entertaining show.

Honjitsu wa, Ohigara mo Yoku feels like a breath of fresh air because its about something you don't often see in jdoramas; speech writing. Higa Minami plays the granddaughter of a famous writer and she has a chance encounter with Hasegawa Kyoko who plays a legendary speech writer. The first two episodes sets up the stage for an election battle as it pits Higa Minami and Hasegawa Kyoko vs Hammer Session.

This show is fun. Despite my reservations about the talent, the first two episodes were fun to watch and Watanabe Ken's son does a good job as Higa Minami's childhood friend who must make a decision on whether to follow in his father's footsteps. Very watchable first two episodes and good job WOWOW. Thanks to subie06 for doing this show!

4 comments:

Buck said...

Loved the first 2 episodes, but my interest waned after the 3rd one. I would never say that Manami is a great actress, but her naive, chicken character doesn't grate on my nerves compared to 99% of asadora heroine types out there. And I see that we need to donate to Japanese Red Cross to feed her :).

Akiramike said...

@Buck Gonna watch episode 3 after work and I'll keep my expectations low. I'll put some yen into the donation!

Donna said...

May I ask how you are watching jdorama online? I haven't watched in a while, and all more old resources (d-addicts, aznv.tv) don't seem to be active any more.

Akiramike said...

@Donna jdramacity.blogspot.com and nyaa.se are the main sources now.