Tuesday, April 18, 2017
I'm going to pay for one month of Netflix to watch this. Osugi Ren plays MMO with son without knowing its his son. As someone once told me, its better to keep your expectations low so you won't be disappointed but as long as its not too cheesy, Osugi Ren can carry this show.
Oguri Shun and Nishijima Hidetoshi by the writer of the incredible jdorama Border. Unfortunately, he also wrote the very boring SP. I'm not expecting Border level must watch quality but as long as its not SP level try to hard to be cool, I'll be happy.
FujiTatsu and Toda Erika with FujiTatsu playing a character who might be a murderer. How much you want to bet every character in this show has something to hide? Worth giving a try I guess.
Could this be the must watch show of the season?
ManoEri's first starring role. She doesn't have it but as a fan of her odoru days, I'll give it a shot.
Yet another cop show about how ineffective the police organisation is and I'm guessing Hasegawa Hiroki's character is disliked by everyone. I would normally avoid it but I'll give it a go just for the cast. I have completely no expectations for this show.
Friday, April 14, 2017
Surprisingly watchable series that I saw through the end and I didn't even mind Haru who was not miscast unlike in Border. Ho-hum ending but I did not skip any scenes. Good show for watching with Japanese subs.
This show has been on my rewatch list for a long time and I finally rewatched the whole thing. I wanted to see whether it would stand the test of time and I stand by my review back in 2008! I enjoyed watching Shikaotoko a second time because I still remembered the ending and I could pick up on all the clues. If you have not seen this show, its a must watch and worth putting up with the slow pace of the first half.
Zzzzzzzz. I give up. It just feels so repetitive and I don't even give a crap about the Lupin parody.
SUPER SALARYMAN SANAE-SHI Ep 5
I give up as well and its by the same writer as Yuusha Yoshihiko. His brand of humour is very hit and miss for me. If you want to watch a truly fun salaryman comedy, watch Salaryman Kintaro.
Give up. Its got none of the charm of Trick and I lasted so far just for Mano Erina. Speaking of Mano Erina, she got to no.1 on the LINE blog rankings or something and now she's just spamming way too many updates on her LINE account. I am so close to deleting her.
Saturday, April 08, 2017
However, the movie is a different animal because it does one important thing to the manga's story; it had to distill the 7 volume movie into 2 hours and cut out all the fat and concentrated the story on Shoko and Shoya instead of everyone's sob story. A Silent Voice is one of those rare times when an adaptation has truly improved on the original source material.
With all the unnecessary stuff trimmed out, I found myself having a greater appreciation of the two main characters. Shoko who wants so hard to be accepted that she blames herself for everything and Shoya who is burdened by his sins and cannot face the world.
Its easy to compare A Silent Voice to Your Name / Kimi no na wa with both being high school movies about a boy and a girl and both being released close to each other but A Silent Voice is a lot heavier and more psychological.
An interesting note about the sound design, during the movie I was thinking about how the music throughout the movie seemed muted and how it would have benefited from a more jpop soundtrack but when the last scene came, I understood that the muted music was intentional and it was a brave sacrifice in order to tell the story better.
Bravo to the people who did the adaptation and they've certainly turned an ok manga into a must watch movie. A Silent Voice is now showing in Australian cinemas.
Saturday, April 01, 2017
Sunday, March 26, 2017
2) Its nice to see Sakamoto Yuji return to form after that oversentimental Itsuka Kono Koi wo Omoidashite kitto Naite Shimau. While we're on that subject, can some Japanese politician please pass a law restricting the number words possible in a jdorama title?
4) I would rank Quartet among Sakamoto Yuji's best works below Soredemo Ikite Yuku and Mosaic Japan and above everything else including Last Christmas, Woman, Mother, Chase, Itoshi Kimi E, Saikou no Rikon and Tokyo Love Story. That is a crazy good body of work that any writer would kill to have. Maybe I should give Mondai no Aru restaurant another go? Nah.
6) The humour in Quartet is perfect. Its not dumb anime humour but rather smart wordplay jokes that reveal so much about the characters and I love how the jokes always come full circle. Takahashi Issei's deadpan expressions are gold.
7) I love how the ending doesn't give closure to the romantic storylines because Quartet is ultimately about friendship.
9) I will never look at karaage with lemon and parsley the same way again.
11) 10 episodes is just the magic number of episodes to spend time with these 4 wonderful people.
11) Quartet is a magical show about people trying to find their place in the world and do something meaningful and their friendship as they help and accept each other for who they are. If you are not watching Quartet, you don't deserve to be watching jdoramas.
Tuesday, March 21, 2017
The important question is of course, can someone who has not read Gantz enjoy this movie? The answer is maybe as there are certain things which might be off putting to some people such as the portrayal of women in the movie. On the other hand, isn't it nice to have a movie where people don't just suddenly know how to fight just because they have super powers?
Newbies might find the characters a tad on the shallow side but for fans like me, I know the characters so well from the manga and its so good to see them in action. A lot of the characters' backstories are hinted at and its up to the uninitiated audience to pick up on it.
For fans like me, Gantz: 0 is a must watch. I enjoyed the movies but it did not have the dubget to bring to life all the crazy stuff we read in the manga. For the uninitiated, keep your expectations really low and hopefully you'll enjoy it enough to seek the manga. If you're not into beautiful women in tight leather outfits and crazy violent action, Gantz : 0 is not for you. Please excuse lack of screenshots as I often get in trouble with google copyright with anime stuff.
Saturday, March 18, 2017
Watchable but I was doing other stuff while watching at the same time.