Sunday, March 26, 2017
2) Its nice to see Sakamoto Yuji return to form after that oversentimental Itsuka Kono Koi wo Omoidashite kitto Naite Shimau. While we're on that subject, can some Japanese politician please pass a law restricting the number words possible in a jdorama title?
4) I would rank Quartet among Sakamoto Yuji's best works below Soredemo Ikite Yuku and Mosaic Japan and above everything else including Last Christmas, Woman, Mother, Chase, Itoshi Kimi E, Saikou no Rikon and Tokyo Love Story. That is a crazy good body of work that any writer would kill to have. Maybe I should give Mondai no Aru restaurant another go? Nah.
6) The humour in Quartet is perfect. Its not dumb anime humour but rather smart wordplay jokes that reveal so much about the characters and I love how the jokes always come full circle. Takahashi Issei's deadpan expressions are gold.
7) I love how the ending doesn't give closure to the romantic storylines because Quartet is ultimately about friendship.
9) I will never look at karaage with lemon and parsley the same way again.
11) 10 episodes is just the magic number of episodes to spend time with these 4 wonderful people.
11) Quartet is a magical show about people trying to find their place in the world and do something meaningful and their friendship as they help and accept each other for who they are. If you are not watching Quartet, you don't deserve to be watching jdoramas.
Tuesday, March 21, 2017
The important question is of course, can someone who has not read Gantz enjoy this movie? The answer is maybe as there are certain things which might be off putting to some people such as the portrayal of women in the movie. On the other hand, isn't it nice to have a movie where people don't just suddenly know how to fight just because they have super powers?
Newbies might find the characters a tad on the shallow side but for fans like me, I know the characters so well from the manga and its so good to see them in action. A lot of the characters' backstories are hinted at and its up to the uninitiated audience to pick up on it.
For fans like me, Gantz: 0 is a must watch. I enjoyed the movies but it did not have the dubget to bring to life all the crazy stuff we read in the manga. For the uninitiated, keep your expectations really low and hopefully you'll enjoy it enough to seek the manga. If you're not into beautiful women in tight leather outfits and crazy violent action, Gantz : 0 is not for you. Please excuse lack of screenshots as I often get in trouble with google copyright with anime stuff.
Saturday, March 18, 2017
Watchable but I was doing other stuff while watching at the same time.
Saturday, March 11, 2017
5) Everyone ignoring Beppu's pun at the end of episode 7.
6) Matsu Takako imitating Mitsushima Hikari.
If you're not watching Quartet, something is wrong with you!
Sunday, March 05, 2017
+ Its a psychological show about a mom and daughter who are too relient on each other. Daughter lives to please mother and looks at her mom's face before making decisions while mom encourages such behaviour and treats her like a doll.
+ Its an analogy of Japanese society in that its about trying to hard to please other people and putting up with things to the point of putting on too much stress on oneself.
+ The father's company wants to get rid of him and puts him in a room with other colleagues doing menial jobs, trying to get them to quit out of boredom. I've read about such things in the news but its the first time I've seen it in jdoramas that I can remember.
+ The parallel between Haru's story and her student's.
+ The acting is not bad. Nothing to complain about.
+ Get to see how Japanese actually learn English in class and it explains a lot of things. lol
WHAT I DIDN'T LIKE
- This 'wall' appears in episode 6 and I did not buy the build up.
- Not confident in the ending despite liking the characters.
= They managed to make the Smurfs Lullaby into such an ominous song. :)
Surprisingly watchable. Let's see where the last two episodes go.