Sunday, January 13, 2019

Japan trip 2018/2019 Part 5 : New Year in Kanazawa

New Years day in Kanazawa and most shops are closed.

What to do besides join the Japanese and welcome the New Year at Oyama shrine!

We had to queue up to the side to get into the shrine.

It started to rain as we queued up and I stupidly did not bring my freaking umbrella that once again that I had dragged all the way from Australia.

(´・ω・`) told me that the forecast predicted rain but when I had gone out for a smoke in the morning, it did not look like it was going to rain at all.

I dropped some coins including all my 1 yens and did the bowx2 clapx2 bow thingie.

Better view of the shrine.

The surroundings of Oyama shrine were beautiful despite the weather.


The combination of snow, grenery and water is just beautiful.

And got some chicken skin skewers from one of the stalls.

We took a short walk to Kanazawa castle and was greated by this amazing scene.



We went further up towards the castle and found this place with lots of snow..

.. and made our first snowman! Hopefully the little dude is still alive in Kanazawa.

 Went into that castle thing but I think we were more interested in snow and scenery as can be seen from the pictures.

Unfortunately, it had begun to rain again but we got an umbrella from a konbini.


Eating mitarashi dango in the rain.

The rain got pretty heavy in the end.

And we were wet and tired and managed to get on the bus back to Kanazawa station.

We didn't have anything planned so I said who not visit this Geo which was 15 minutes away... in the rain?

So I dragged poor (´・ω・`) all the way to this Geo so I could look for games.

Everyone on my twitter feed was posting pictures of cheap bargains they got from Geo. Twitter is bad because it just makes me spend money on games that I have no time to play.

We tried to go to some more expensive places for dinner but they were all booked out and we had to settle for a famires.

At least (´・ω・`) got a decent prize from this lucky draw.

I rather enjoyed Kanazawa and would definitely go again. Next up, shirakawago.

No comments: