Tuesday, January 29, 2019

I''s jdorama Episode 1

I did not have any expectations for I''s after what happened with Video Girl Ai. I''s is my favourite shounen romance manga after Maison Ikkoku. (I know there's a dorama version of it but I never watched it cause I remember not liking the casting)

The Video Girl Ai dorama did everything wrong; it did its own story instead of adapting the manga, they cast the wrong girl and completely neutered the sexy elements from the manga. So its taken me a while to start watching I''s because I I did not want to see another beloved manga get screwed.

I''s is your basic romance manga for guys back in the day when a guy's harem would stop at 3 girls. Nowadays, a manga would not be able to sell with only 3 female characters.

I''s is famous for its incredible art by Masakazu Katsura and also a lot of fanservice which pales in comparison to stuff today like ToLoveRu. Probably the most important thing is that it tells the story about a bunch of people who grow up and become adults together.

From the first frame of I''s jdorama, there was something different. You could tell the director wanted the dorama to look like Masakazu Katsura's had come to life.


The screenshots look like they came from the manga. The uniform was there and emphasis on the thighs aka zettai ryouiki aka absolute zone.

I''s is so faithful to the manga, I could not stop grinning from ear to ear. I wasn't convinced about the casting of Iori from the preview but Shiraishi Sei does a decent job except for the wig. The casting of Teratani is absolutely perfect.

I was laughing and cringing at all the same places I did when reading the manga. I can't complain.

Absolutely loved the first episode.

I don't like the Itsuki casting but we'll see if she can channel Itsuki from the manga.

For fans of the manga like me, I''s is must watch.


I don't know how to judge the dorama objectively because as long as it is faithful to the source material, I am happy. My first must watch jdorama of the year!

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Where to get it?

Anonymous said...

i enjoed Kono Koi wa Tsumi na no ka more

Akiramike said...

@unknown : SkewedS translations at http://tl-skeweds.blogspot.com.

@Anon: Will definitely check it out.

Sonna~ said...

The mister has most of the manga and I read a lot of it, but I feel like I need to go back to it. I used to re-read Maison Ikkoku a lot - I love it and I hated the jdrama version, be glad you didn't watch. Did you ever watch/read hiatari ryoukou? I believe the mangaka of the latter wrote it in response to Maison Ikkoku (or maybe vice versa). I watched the anime a bit but it didn't hold my interest for that long.