Tuesday, January 22, 2019

Japan trip 2018/2019 Part 8 : Takayama Showa Museum


So we said goodbye to the teddy bear museum,

and hopped on the bus to downtown Takayama.


One thing you will notice in Takayama is lots of places selling Hida beef skewers and sushi and I have plenty of skewers and sushi despite having just eaten. One thing to note is that the skewers get cheaper the further away you get from the station.

We didn't really know what to do in Takayama but the one thing that caught my eye as we looked at the map was the Takayama Showa Museum.

Me love showa era stuff and nothing says Showa like Yamaguchi Momoe.

It really felt like a show era movie set.




I can hear the Kinpachi sensei theme song in my head.

Playing SF2 on the SFC. The controller was really bad.

Wall of Famicom cartridges.

When was the last time you used a public phone?

Showa magazines.

Showa wrestling posters. Lots of Giant Baba and Antonio Inoki.

This is so nostalgic for me even though I did not grow up in Japan.

The Showa Museum was nice but we were kind of burnt out on Takayama itself.

First, it felt like a town that existed just for the tourists. It did not feel like there were any locals.

Second was that everything seemed to shut early and combined with shops being closed, Takayama felt empty.

Third was that it felt like Takayama consisted of the same 5 touristy shops being randomly generated all over and over. You can explain the first two reasons with New Years but the third reason just gave me this feeling of this place being 'fake'.

Spent an hour aimlessly walking around because so many eating places were either closed by 4pm or would only open for dinner after 5pm.

Managed to stumble upon Maruaki Hida Takayama that had A5 Hida Beef.

I wanted to keep the cost around 10000 yen and in hindsight, I should have ordered more pork and regular Hida Beef. At least I can now say I've had the A5 Hidagyu although I can't the difference between regular and A5.

Back to Ryokan Murayama for a dip in the hot spring.

Thermae Romae poster. Next post, my first time having a personal hot spring!

No comments: