Wednesday, December 07, 2022

JFF 2022: Lesson in Murder

Lesson in Murder is my last movie for the Japanese film festival. This Japanese version of Silence of the Lambs has Abe Sadao as a serial killer on trial for committing many high school students. Fair warning that the movie starts off with a very graphic torture scene so it is not a movie to watch with food.

Abe Sadao sends a letter to Masaya, a law student who used to frequent Abe Sadao's bakery when he was a middle school student asking to meet. Masaya meets Abe Sadao in prison and Abe tells him that although he admits to all the crimes, he did not kill the last victim which was a 20+ year old woman and asks Masaya to find the real killer.

Lesson in Murder is a psychological thriller with a person who was a potential victim of a serial killer trying to find someone who pinned their crime on Abe Sadao. As Masaya starts to look into Abe Sadao's crimes and gets more nuggets of information, we get clues about his past and how and why he has befriended and killed so many high school students.

It has been a few days since I watched Lesson in Murder and I am still not sure what to make of it. The chemistry is nowhere as good as Silence of the Lambs but is ok. There are a lot of gruesome scenes but Abe Sadao is not as scary. I was never bored of the movie and the twists and turns are great but I feel meh about the final reveal. 

I don't regret watching it but I don't know how to rate it. I am glad it is not a bad movie like Creepy but I cannot say it is a good movie. Ok movie. Watch if the idea of Abe Sadao playing a serial killer excites you.

No comments: