Sunday, May 26, 2019

Shiroi Kyoto 2019 Episode 1

Once upon a time, there was a jdorama called Shiroi Kyoto starring Karasawa Toshiaki and Eguchi Yosuke and it was good. If you asked me what are the two must watch medical jdoramas, they would be Shiroi Kyoto and Iryu.... and the first season of Doctors.

Now 16 years later, Fuji TV are remaking the series again, this time with Okada Junichi and Matsuyama Kenichi. Typing that 16 years later really makes me feel old. Happy to see Mimura is in it but it seems like a very small role as a nurse. :(

Anyway, I have vague recollections of the 2003 version of Shiroi Kyoto. Of course I remember Zaizen sensei and his father in law who in the new version is being played by Kobayashi Kaoru. I really loved Nishida Toshiyuki's performance in the original and if anyone can bring depth and enjoyment to the role of the maternity clinic owner, it would be Kobayashi Kaoru.

I am happy that Zaizen's wife is being played by Koho but not too sure about Sawajiri Erika playing the mistress because I have a feeling her role is going to overshadow Koho's. To be fair, I do not remember whether Kuroki Hitomi or Wakamura Mayumi had the bigger role in the 2003 version but Wakamura's performance as the wife had a bigger impression on me.


So far for episode 1, I don't think its deviated from the 2003 version much. Zaizen and his father in law are still in pursuit of the professorship while navigating the political landmines of the hospital.


Way too early to judge but I enjoyed the first episode plus as long as they stick with the story and the friendship between Zaizen and Satomi, it should be fine. Plus the cast is absolutely freaking loaded. I don't think anyone is subbing Shiroi Kyoto but it definitely needs to be subbed.

If you've never seen the 2003 version, I wholeheartedly recommend it.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

2003 version was a remake too