Friday, May 17, 2019

Sekai wa Kyou kara Kimi no Mono- Her Sketchbook jmovie review

I think I came around to watching this movie because one day I happened to be looking up Ozaki Masaya list of works and saw that he had directed this movie starring Konuma Masami.

Her Sketchbook is the story of this former hikikomori girl played by Konuma Masami who at the beginning of the movie is working at a factory but because of an accident ends up working at a video game company as a debugger.

Slowly, Konuma Masami's art gets noticed and she is given a chance to move from debugger to freelance illustrator. However, things are not so easy for her.

I am very underwhelmed by this movie. The director is very bleh and amateurish and the story just feels like a run of a mill girl slowly coming out of her shell story. As much as I like Ozaki Masaya as a writer, I am unable to see what he is going for with Her Sketchbook. Maybe he's just wanting to give hope to someone or hikikomori's in general.

The most fun I had with Her Sketchbook was trying not to laugh every time Makita Sports appears. Its hard to take him seriously after his role as the Tenga Tencho in Minna Esper Dayo.

Doesn't suck but is very forgettable. If you're still interested, you can get it from nyaa but you're better off watching a better Hikikomori story like Welcome to NHK.

No comments: