Wednesday, May 15, 2019

Kyou, Kaerimasu SP

Densha is a salaryman who comes home one day to find his wife Kinami Haruka and child have left him. They've gone to live with his wife's parents in the countryside and he goes to visit them once a month while continuing to live and work in Tokyo.

Wife wants Densha to live in country but Densha wants his wife to move back to Tokyo. Densha gets involved with an eccentric client played by Kito Sensei from Iryu and she challenges him to turn his life around.

I would describe Kyou, Kaerimasu as a Koreeda Hirokazu wannabe movie without his deft touch. I like the message of the SP but the dialogue and characters just don't feel... natural. I don't know how to put it into words. I'm not saying its ham-fisted but it feels like I'm watching a 1hr 15 minute show designed only to impart a moral lesson.

On the whole, I give Kyou, Kaerimasu a meh. You'd be better off watching any Koreeda movie.

No comments: