Wednesday, March 13, 2019

Pierre Taki arrested for cocaine

So the big news in Japan today is Pierre Taki (pictured on the right) getting caught for cocaine. He's been in a few jdoramas but I mostly know him from movies like Kyouaku. He's also recently been in the Kimutaku Game Judge Eyes.

Why I chose the picture above is that the actor on the left, Hirofumi Arai was charged for sexual assault and as a result, the release of his movie was cancelled.

What has happened is that Sega has immediately cancelled physical and digital sales of the game and this is driving up the price of the game. I am regretting getting the digital version of Judge Eyes instead of physical because who knows if I will be able to redownload the game.

The interesting question is whether sales of the game will officially be cancelled forever? Did Pierre Taki kill any chance of a sequel? Will Sega replace Pierre Taki in the game with a generic actor like they did with Narimiya Hiroki who was also caught in cocaine allegations. If they released an amended version of Judge Eyes, would it even sell? I doubt so unless the get a big name for it and the price of the original game will continue to go up.

Why I chose the picture above is that the actor on the left, Hirofumi Arai was charged for sexual assault and as a result, the release of his movie was cancelled.

I guess what I really want to talk about is should an actor's work be wiped out of existence because they committed a crime? Will Japan stop showing the Attack on Titan or Parasyte movies on tv because Pierre Taki is in them? Or worse, just cut his scenes so the movies don't make sense. Do you stop showing all movies and jdoramas with Hirofumi Arai in them because he has been in a lot of shows?

I don't know. I just find it a waste of so many people's hard work. I guess it depends on whether one can separate performance from a crime.

4 comments:

Keiko said...

"Should an actor's work be wiped out of existence because they committed a crime?"

No, I don't think so. Several times the Japanese broadcast networks has either cut out actor/actress complete or completely cancelling said drama/movie.

If they are cutting out an actor/actress, it's like butchering how a drama/movie originally was intended to be. It may also leave those who are new to the drama/movie wondering why the story is so odd (if it's been cut poorly.).

Sonna~ said...

Japan's been doing this for years and it just makes everything so awkward.

Even back in the 1990s, they stopped a L'arc~en~Ciel release from coming out because the old drummer got caught with a tiny bit of drugs. And there's also Sakai Noriko. The guy in KAT-TUN had to leave his post-KAT TUN band after being caught with weed too I think.

And yet, Issei Sagawa is on television after KILLING someone.

Couldn't they put up a special notice or something at the end of the programme? It really ruins it for everyone else involved. I was really looking forward to this release.

Akiramike said...

@Sonna~ : Completely forgot about Sakai Noriko! I think she's still in the industry?

Sonna~ said...

I think Sakai Noriko came back, but I haven't really seen much with her in it. I think they made her do some "KIKEN drugs are bad" talks and that was it...? Nothing like what she used to.

Becky bounced back pretty quickly I think in comparison, but she didn't do drugs.