Thursday, March 21, 2019

Jmovie review: Killing for the Prosecution

WHAT IS IT ABOUT?

Kimutaku is a prosecutor does some morally ambiguous things and his methods become more extreme when his personal business gets mixed up. Nino is the young prosecutor who looks up to Kimutaku but senses something is not right. Basically is a grey area anti-hero vs protege story.


WHAT I LIKED

+ Grey area jmovies are not so common so it was fun to watch Kimutaku play a not so nice guy for once.

+ Nino as always is good.

+ Yoshitaka Yuriko is in it.

+ The star of the show is the suspect Matsukura. OMG, he is the star of this movie. I could not take my eyes of this character.

WHAT I DIDN'T LIKE

- Kimutaku's acting just cannot rise to the level required to make this really good. He tries but there's always something about his acting where it feels like he's trying to hard to look cool. I think if Tsutsumi Shinichi or Karasawa Toshiaki would have killed in the role. He doesn't suck but he doesn't elevate the role.


- From the beginning the prosecutors are actively participating in the crime scene investigations and interrogations. Is this normally what happens in Japan because I can see why they have a 99% guilty rate or is Kimutaku's character too cozy with the police? I kept asking myself is this show Killing for the Prosecution or Killing for the Cops?

- Side stories that didn't make sense to me like Kimutaku's grandfather and his good friend the policition.

SUMMARY

Looking back at this review, it looks like I'm nitpicking about a lot of stuff but overall, it was watchable movie that could have been great. If you're after a morally grey movie with suspense, nothing wrong with spending two hours with Killing for the Prosecution. Movie is out at avistaz.

No comments: