Sunday, June 17, 2018

10 things I like about Unnatural

 
I am very, very impressed by Unnatural. When was the last time a mainstream aka non WOWOW medical show impressed me? Probably the first season of Doctors Saikyou no Meii but that was more comedy than a serious medical show. Iryu? Anyway, here are 10 things I liked about Unnatural:

1)  The police in this show were not incompetent.

2) Supporting character gets multiple pay offs.

3) Ishihara Satomi gets put between a rock and a hard place often and has to make difficult decisions.

4) Boss of group is actually smart, not lazy, thinks big picture and is willing to take the heat for his people.

5) Arata is awesome and works well with Ishihara Satomi.

6) Deals with a lot of real life issues like overworking, date-rape, bullying, unidentified bodies etc.

7) Did a great job building up the main story over the course of 8 episodes that when episode 9 happened, I was at the edge of my seat.

8) Every character got their chance to shine.

9) No one tried to act too cool.

10) No incompetent rookies.

SUMMARY

Very good job by the writer Nogi Akiko who also wrote Juhan Shuttai!, I am Hero and Ore Monogatari. However, she also wrote a whole bunch of Aragaki Yui shows which I don't want to watch and Library Wars which I hated. Unnatural and Juhan Shuttai! clearly shows that she is very good. Must watch.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Glad that you like Unnatural. It's the drama of the year for me (so far). And Nogi Akiko definitely one of the best new dorama writers. And those whole Aragaki Yui dramas that you don't want to watch are actually great and the ones that made me a fan of her writings (and Gakky actually acted better in her dramas - this is coming from someone who didn't think Gakky as good actress at first).

Amelda said...

Thanks for this fantastic rec, Akiramike. I'm 3 episodes in and enjoying every second. I am particularly impressed by ep3's take on sexism, and the way the Ishihara Satomi character waves the flag for her sex yet is willing to compromise (getting Arata to testify in her stead) when the situation calls for it. She really is one of the most reasonable characters I've ever encountered in years of drama watching.