Friday, June 02, 2023

Japan 2023 Day 14: Back to Tokyo

Woke up early to see the Johnnys president apologising on tv. Great job BBC! Apologies are cheap when there is no independent investigation or monetary compensation.

Got some shumai for my 7 hour shinkansen ride back to Tokyo. Shinkansen is so comfortable, 7 hours passes like nothing and it was not the first time I had done this. Had to change trains at Shin Osaka. Probably should have stayed one more night in Osaka and had another drink at Uzu but I wanted to do my final shopping.

I don't remember seeing this at a Shinkansen platform before.

Had lunch at Toriyoshi in Asakusabashi.  Should have ordered more chicken.

The moment I realised I should have bought the 2nd Sora no Kiseki game in Fukuoka. The Tokyo price is crazy! When a game is selling more than its original price, you know it can only go up.

I knew that I wanted to buy a complete Slam Dunk manga collection to take home. This is the new print edition that just came out to coincide with the movie and they have compiled it into 20 volumes while the original manga is 31 volumes.

There is another version of the manga, the kanzenban or complete collection that you can see on the top right. Its more expensive, 24 volumes and the size of the manga is bigger so you get to admire Inoue Takehiko's art more. I spent a lot of time debating which one to get. Ideally the complete collection is better than new print but it also means more storage space is required and is a lot heavier.

Stared at this for very long but decided against it. Stared at it for long time when the preorders started too.

No idea what this Kanda Matsuri (festival) is. This is from Atre Akihabara.

Idolmaster shop. Should have gone to Anisong Karaoke Bar Z in Nakano just to sing Go My Way!

Uma Musume. Girls + anything (horse/guns/ships) sell in Japan.

Ultraman diorama also from Atre Akiba. Looks so cool.

Went to Mandarake Akihabara and discovered the Mugen no Jyunin aka Blade of the Immortal shinsouban or new print edition! I knew I had to have this but did not buy it yet because I was still undecided on Slam Dunk. This new print edition became main target for the last few days of my trip.

Collected DNA manga for only 880 yen. Manga in Japan is so freaking cheap. Should have gotten this because I had 2kg leftover in the for my luggage.

I"s (pronounced Aizu) but the pages were pretty yellow.

Went to Friends is Akihabara, and the store was shockingly sparse compared to 4 years ago.

However, I managed to find Fire Emblem Rekka no Ken on GBA for 5000 yen which I think is a very good price! The reason for low price was that the box was graded C and manual B. To me the box was in superb condition. I asked the old lady why there were so few games and she said that they had trouble getting stock. The stores that properly grade games will charge more when games are in pristine condition but will charge less when there are faults and people like me who buy to play instead of collect don't mind.

Sign at Beep asking for people to wear masks when they go in. They also did not have many games although Beep's twitter showed that they recently got a lot of Mega Drive games after I had left Japan. :(

Godzilla pop up store in Akihabara station.

Godzilla Sukajan. I think this will sell to a lot of tourists.

Went to Ichikatsu in Asakusabashi. Not bad for the price. Only the sauce is too sweet. Better to eat the tonkatsu with the mustard and they did not have salad dressing.

The rest of my shopping for day 14. I only got the first Sora no Kiseki on Vita.

Drinking buddy Micchan at Grand Bleu. It just happened that the four times I had gone to Grand Bleu he was there. He's an electrician from Okinawa so we were were doing an Okinawa song festival that night and I know a lot of Okinawa songs.

No comments: