Monday, June 26, 2023

0.5 no Otoko Episodes 1~3

I really can't remember the last time I saw a WOWOW family drama. WOWOW has been the go to channel for suspense, corruption, murder and legal shows but family shows not much. From writer director Okita Shuichi who made No Con Kid and Fruits Takuhaibin, too shows I really liked is 0.5 no Otoko where Matsuda Ryuhei plays a 40 year old hikikomori living with 3 generations in one home.

Masaharu (Matsuda Ryuhei) does not work and games all day which is what I want to be when I grow up. Its the ultimate dream not having to work for a living. His sister played by Usuda Asami moves back home with her husband and two kids and as Masaharu learns to deal with these new disturbances he slowly learns to open up.

0.5 no Otoko straight away reminds me Going My Home by Koreeda Hirokazu. Its when a network gives a movie director enough time and money to develop what they want. I noticed how different it looks from your usual jdoramas. There is more of an art in the framing of shots.

For example the beginning of episode 2 has a one cut family morning scene that made me say wow. They constructed this side cut of the house for 0.5 no Otoko and it really makes for some nice scenes. 

0.5 no Otoko also feels a bit like KDO lite. People look down on Masaharu and maybe he's got something to teach others as he slowly learns to integrate himself into society.

0.5 no Otoko like Going My Home is also a very slow burn show but I don't mind because the acting is good and pacing is deliberate.  Of note is Fubuki Jun's acting as the grandmother. I love that scene when she sees Masaharu doing the bug dance. The director knows how to capture those small moment beautifully.

Very, very watchable family dorama. WOWOW should do more of them because they know how to do it better than the other networks. Big thanks to earthcolors for subbing this wonderful show.

3 comments:

Shane said...

Where did you get the raw files?

Robert said...

Yeah this has been excellent and I'm disappointed there are only going to be five episodes.

Akiramike said...

@Shane: Please see https://hamsapsukebe.blogspot.com/2022/11/where-to-download-jdoramas-and-subs-in.html I get most of my raws from dramahd.

@Robert: I know but I'd rather have quality over too many episodes.