Monday, November 21, 2022

Ryojin no Ono episodes 1+2

I could not contain my excitement when I saw there was this WOWOW dorama starring Arata, Shibata Kyohei and Takaoka Saki. When these people have acted in WOWOW shows, they have done excellent shows such as Chase, Satsui no Michinori, Lady Joker and of course the very beautiful Kenja no Ai. Will they bring us another must watch jdorama?

Unfortunately, getting the raws and subs is not so straight forward. The subs can be gotten from luwang's discord and which has instructions on getting the raws from drama otaku. jptv.club have the raws also which are freaking huge and its better to get the less than 800mb raws from drama otaku. It is pretty easy to register and I got my membership approved pretty quick and the downloads are fast. 

Arata and Shibata Kyohei are police officers with a kouhai senpai relationship and we see their families mingling happily in the beginning of episode 1. It was a bit confusing for me in the beginning because I thought Arata and Shibata Kyohei were related by marriage or something. Of course, this being a WOWOW show means someone must die and that is Shibata Kyohei's oldest daughter.

Fast forward 15 years later and the case is still insolved. Shibata Kyohei is retired and his wife Miwako is in the hospital. Arata's daughter is getting married and suddenly a special investigation is reopened for the cold case. 

For the first episode, I thought I knew very well where Ryojin no Ono was going because I had watched so many police jdoramas and the name double sided axe was the key. It is still well done and the emotions and grittiness of WOWOW doramas is second to none. 

There's this Shibata Kyohei scene in episode 2 where I just want to give him the hamsapsukebe award for best actor right then and there because it really helps sell the rest of the series. At the end of episode 2 we finally get to where the story is going and it is an exciting one. There is still one more twist which is heavily foreshadowed but I can't bloody wait to see what happens next!

I will temper my expectations now and not give Ryojin no Ono a must watch until it is finished. I am probably going to watch episode 3 raw after this. Nothing gets me excited like a good WOWOW show. Thanks to luwuang for subbing!

No comments: