Tuesday, November 08, 2022

Atom no Ko Episodes 1 jdorama review

I love videogames and its been a long while since the last good video game jdorama No Con Kid. I was hesitant to jump into this because I was afraid Atom no Ko would be about some stupid mobile game like that Nino kidnap dorama My Family.

Atom no Ko starts off with a short recap of the history of video games and daring to omit Sega although they did have Megadrive, Saturn and Dreamcast on their list of consoles. The main thing I want is to feel the love for gaming from the writer and creators just like No Con Kid.

Atom no Ko is about two characters, Nayuta played by Yamazaki Kento aka Mr Alice in Borderland who created this game called Downwell which is an actual game. Usually when videogames are shown in jdoramas they are some fake game that doesn't exist. Hopefully they will show more real games in Atom no Ko. And speaking of Alice in Borderland, part 2 comes out in December I believe and I am keeping my expectations low because Yamapi is in it but I would love it if he dies in the end.


The second character is Tominaga Umi played by Kishii Yukino. Umi is the daughter of this toy company Atom which is losing money and not popular but is known by fans for their high quality figures. Nayuta who has since quit gaming since the release of Downwell is a fan of Atom and Umi who grew up watching her father make toys in Atom is a fan of Downwell and she wants Atom to make games in order to survive.

Rounding up our characters is Odagiri Joe as the bad guy who caused Nayuta to quit the business, wants to buy Atom for its patents and uses gaming to make money from selling player information.  I want to see him lose so badly.

I am cautiously optimistic that this could be a decent TBS show. I also need to finish Old Rookie which is another TBS show. I was watching episode 1 of Atom no Ko noticing all the video game references in the backgrounds. I hope to see more video game easter eggs in upcoming episodes and have noticed they are showing a lot of Capcom game.

I like the theme music which is uplifting. The ending of episode 2 is very interesting. Please don't screw this up TBS! If you like videogames and an underdog story about small business fighting against big companies Atom no Ko is for you. Watchable first episode. Hardsubs are available from blitzfansubs.

No comments: