Sunday, November 20, 2022

Atom no Ko episodes 2+3

I know I gave the first episode of Atom no Ko a promising review. Unfortunately, the series has come crashing down to TBS earth for me. Atom no Ko just feels a bit too much soap opera formula for me, like the writer could have easily replaced video games with any other industry and the show won't not have been any different. It doesn't feel like the story was tailored for video games and rather it feels like they just inserted videogames into an underdog going up against big corporation story.

It felt like things happen for the sake of things happening. I did not buy the Tominaga character who is the president of Atom, who is supposed to be mature one going around showing their video game either to the enemy. 

I feel like Atom no Ko should have explained a lot of stuff to the audience such as high digital distribution has allowed the indie games industry to survive, all the various costs involved with game development, which platforms do they want to release their game on and how important marketing is with hundreds of games released each day.

I know that I am not the main audience for this show and it bothered me that the game they are making is Chu Chu Rocket which came out a 20 years ago but I feel like the details about gaming and the industry are not there in the story and they should be.

I enjoyed the Street Fighter element of the story in episode 2 and marked out for the appearance of Mikado in Takadanobaba. It is one of the famous retro arcades in Tokyo besides Hey in Akihabara so please check it out if you are ever there. Last time I was Takadanobaba I tried to find my way to Mikado from memory but failed and could not be bothered looking on my phone and ended going somewhere else.

I will still check out the series by fast forwarding for any future video game fanservice and cameos but I jumped the gun with this show and shall endeavour never to do so for any TBS show again. Meh. 

No comments: