Friday, November 20, 2020

Siren no Zange Episodes 2-4

Siren no Zange is based on a novel by Nakayama Shichiri who also wrote the novel upon which Akuma no Bengonin was based on. If you have no seen it, seek out Akuma no Bengonin because its one of my favourite shows of the year.

Araki Yuko is not main actress material. There is nothing really bad about her acting but there's nothing good either and it feels like she is out of her depth. Araki Yuko needs to spend a lot of time playing supporting roles before she is given a main one again.

Siren no Zange is a fun jdorama about the roles and responsibilities of journalism and how much power and damage they can do, especially when journalists try to jump the shark and get it wrong.

My favourite character in the show is the sleazy chief who knows very well how to play the game and is willing to sacrifice anyone for ratings or to take the blame. Love this scene where he makes the father of the girl who tried to suicide blow up. Sometimes Japanese shows can be summed up as trying to get someone else to take the blame without looking at the cause.

The series was riveting to the end but I have to say I disagreed with the ending because I am pretty sure the public with have put 2 and 2 together and something bad would have happened. 

I get why the ending had to happen because of the story but what happened was a tragedy and not something to be judged in the court of public opinion.

Siren no Zange did not turn into a must watch show but it is definitely a very watchable one. WOWOW has another Nakayama Shichiri dorama coming out soon; Yoru ga Dorehodo Kurakudemo and I am looking forward to it! Big thanks to HPriest for subbing this.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

hihi

Nothing substantial to say except randomly thought of this blog today and happy to see it's still going. I discovered you like 5 years ago and somehow google always knows what i mean even though I butcher the spelling. Looking forward to seeing your best of 2020 list!

Akiramike said...

@Anon: Hi, yes this blog is still going and thanks for visiting! I'll need to watch more doramas before I can do a best of 2020 list.