Monday, June 22, 2020

5 reasons to watch Akuma no Bengonin

1. The main character Mikoshiba actually did something really horrible and unforgiveable in the past and there is no cop out! No stupid main character didn't actually kill because victim had dead from other causes right before or some lame cop out.

2. Instead of the usual critisize juvenile crime law storyline, Akuma no Bengonin explores why kids are not sent to prison; so that they can be rehabilitated.

3. Akuma no Bengonin explores all the smug players in the legal system who think they are superior because they have never been caught for committing crimes but are not interested in justice.

4. The show asks what is appropriate punishment and when should be punishment end? Should the mass media and the public be involved in inciting hatred after someone has served their time?


5. My favourite storyline in this show is Becky's reporter housemate who in the the realises that only serve to incite hatred leading to bystanders getting hurt.

SUMMARY

I thoroughly enjoyed Akuma no Bengonin, and similar to Coffee-ya no Hitobito probably a lot more than I should. I want to declare Akuma no Bengonin a must watch but I know its not at that level.


It just ticks so many boxes for me. I just enjoy watching Kaname Jun and Becky in this. Bring on a sequel. Very watchable jdorama.

7 comments:

notpenk said...

Do check out Yoshitaka Yuriko's latest drama Shiranakute Ii Koto. Only watched 2 eps, but I feel like you might enjoy this drama (a bit of a slow burn). She's very hot in this drama and the cinematography is really good.

Akiramike said...

@tangerine_days: Thanks, well check it out!

Unknown said...

Yes, I really did enjoy this jdorama. Thank you for recommending it!

Amelda said...

Many thanks for the rec. Yup the show's got that cheap and clumsy feel to it, but it was sustained by a good story told in an honest, consistent way.

I looked up the series of Nakayama Shichiri novels that the show is based on, and was surprised to find that WOWOW had adapted the first novel Shokuzai no Sonata in 2015. In contrast to Akuma no Bengonin, Shokuzai no Sonata appears to be a very prestigious production, directed by no less than Aoyama Shinji and with a starry cast led by Mikami Hiroshi as Mikoshiba. Unfortunately, no one has subbed the show. I would love to see Mikami's Mikoshiba, though I imagine he must be very different from Kaname Jun's.

Akiramike said...

@Amelda; I tried to get Shokuzai no Sonata on nyaa dn Avistaz but unfortunately both are not seeded. Like you, I would definitely love to see the WOWOW version and see a different approach to the source material.

Sonna~ said...

I loved this one! The hours felt like seconds

Monocle Circus said...

Nice sharre