Monday, November 23, 2020

24 Japan Episodes 1-7

I am surprised 24 Japan has not been subbed yet. 24 Japan is the remake of the American tv show that become famous many years ago because it was set in real time, as in an hour on the show corresponds with one hour in the story. I remember watching the original but I don't think I ever finished it.

24 Japan has got a crazy good cast and if it doesn't work it won't be because of lack of talent. Karasawa Toshiaki is the main character who works in CTU aka Counter Terrorist Unit and his story is about uncovering an assassination plan and Nakama Yukie is the other main character Urara who is on the verge on becoming Japan's first female prime minister.

For supporting actors we have Kimura Tae, Kuriyama Chiaki, Asakura Aki aka Kabukicho Bengonin Rinka and Katase Nana. Couldn't be happier with the acting talent.

I have one very big complaint is that the directors love to shoot the actors and not much background. I am not sure whether this is a stylistic choice or a budget/covid-19 choice. There's a gunfight scene in episode 2 and you need to have some wideshots and shots from character's POV to establish where characters are geographically.

This has always been the problem with action in jdoramas where geography and telling the story with action is not prioritised. Its an annoying thing that I had to put up with but considering the current world health crisis I am happy just to watch jdoramas to watch.

Once the story gets rolling, it gets very exciting with plenty of twists and turns and I caught up to episode 7 very quickly. There are somethings that are very outrageous like the end of episode 1 and I have to admit the fast forwarding some scenes on episode 6 and 7.

I can't stand the Karasawa Toshiaki's daughter but I love the Nakama Yukie political dorama. Nothing like watching characters who are between a rock and a hard place. Can't wait to see how the stories will come together. 

There are unfortunately no English subs but someone at nyaa has retimed the Japanese subs so I could follow the story much better. Watchable.

Edit: Looks like kawaihitotachi is subbing the series at d-addicts.

No comments: