Thursday, May 25, 2023

Japan 2023 Day 6: Shin Kamen Rider, Bayonetta pop up store and Nipponbashi

Train approaching at Noda station. This was the Sunday of golden week and it was forecast to rain the whole day which it did. 

Can't do any touristy stuff so best thing to do is to go cinema and watch Shin Kamen Rider at Osaka Station Cinema.

The best thing I can say about Shin Kamen Rider is that there is blood and enemies' heads explode from punches and kicks. However I really do not see how anyone could think Anno Hideaki is a good director. Shin Kamen Rider is so bad I started thinking about how Black Sun was a much better show and at least tried to ground the series in some way.

Shin Kamen Rider cards I got with my ticket which I gave to Ricco to give to her son. I never watched the original, only Black and I know its a kids show but Power Rangers the Movie is much better than Shin Kamen Rider. 

It was raining cats and dogs all day. There are two Kamen Riders in the movie, the main guy is too nice and the second Kamen Rider was brainwashed by the bad guys and later freed. I thought Shin Gojira was watchable but Shin Ultraman and Kamen Rider are just bad. There's something about his movie logic/sensibilities that doesn't make sense to me and no scene has made me think Anno is good at directing action or dialogue scenes.

Should have watched Slam Dunk again or the new Conan movie.

Detective Conan cafe at Osaka station.

Took a train to Nanba and went to Marui for the Bayonetta pop up store!

Original guns from Bayonetta 1.

More Bayonetta goods.

Sukajan with Bayonetta 3 design. I hate Bayonetta 3 so much. It is such a boring game compared to the first 2 I had to force myself to finish it.

I did not get the new Bayonetta prequel and will not be getting any more Bayonetta games unless reviews say the pacing and bad guy designs have recaptured the magic of 1 and 2.


The Bayonetta t-shirts did not seem of good quality.
 
I knew I wanted an acrylic stand but I could not decide between Bayonetta 1 or 2. At 3850 yen, it is pretty expensive. If they have sold at 3000 yen each I would have bought both. I think they are the new file covers, cheap to produce and sold at expensive prices.

Bayonetta stands at the back of the exhibit with Kamiya's signature on the left.

Pictures from cutscenes from Bayonetta 1~3. I could replay 1+2 all over again but not touching 3 anymore.
Guess what I ran into at Marui? Shin Kamen Rider X Evangelion shop!

As much as I dislike Shin Kamen Rider it is cool to be able to see a movie prop straight after watching it. Only in Japan!
Mask for the Nishino Nanase character in the movie.

Costume for the Nishino Nanase character.

If you ever wanted a mug cup with Shinji doing a henshin pose.......


It was tempting to get an AT field umbrella. Some places you have to leave your umbrella outside when raining.

Had an onion egg beef rice lunch at Matsuya.

Did not fill me up so I had to top up with a L chicken regular at Lawson.

Went to Super Potato and Surugaya in Nipponbashi which is right next to Nanba. I hate going to Super Potato at Akiba now because it is just filled with tourists who are obviously there for sightseeing. So much less tourists in Osaka. 

I think the reason Gunstar Heroes is so expensive is because of the tourists. Nipponbashi is Osaka's equivalent of Akihabara but less touristy.

It is obvious that tourists have reduced the stock of games especially in Tokyo. It is difficult to find Saturn Street Fighter games. It has been so long since I was in Osaka but I still have a rough idea where everything was.

I will never be able to afford Elevator Action Returns but luckily the game was rereleased on the Switch.
Came across these collection cases for figures. I don't buy figures anymore but these would be good for the few figures I have left plus it was it has UV cut.

I am glad I never bough a Saber Lily figure. I was thinking of buying one when I first came to Japan but did not realise Fate was about turning King Arthur and Miyamoto Musashi into bishoujos. As much as I like Japan, some things just make me go wtf.

Game tanteidan in Nipponbashi!

The first time I have seen Flashback on Mega Drive in the wild!

Side Pocket is a bit overpriced for me. Would have gotten if it were 1000 yen cheaper.

Stairs back down to ground floor at Game Tanteidan. The poor posters and Dreamcast bag have unfortunately lost their colour from years of fluorescent light. 

Since when was there a Hello! Project Shop in Nipponbashi. Maybe I just don't remember. I don't think I would know anyone left. Is Sugaya Risako still there? You can see the umbrella stand next to the entrance. Shops either have an umbrella stand to leave your umbrella or this plastic sleeve to insert your umbrella in to prevent the floor from getting wet.

The Astro City Minis are nice but I can't justify the price.

Off to Geo and I think this is the first Geo I have set foot in this trip. Rain continuing non stop.

Why is Sonic Origins plus releasing after I leave Japan? 

Geo was having a golden week sale. If you buy 2 games you get 500 yen off! I knew this was the time to strike!

I think this is the cheapest price I have seen for Breath of Fire GBA and Oriental Blue. Should have pulled the trigger!
Went to Gee! Store and they had these life sized tapestries of NJPW wrestlers.

The most interesting thing was this survey asking fans who they wanted to see next and to put a red dot next to the name. Umino Shota and Takahashi Hiromu got the most votes followed by Oiwa Ryohei (wtf). I put my vote in for Takagi Shingo. If you like NJPW this is an interesting look at who is popular besides the 7 that have been made into tapestries.

NJPW t-shirts. Shingo needs a cooler shirt. Bought a long sleeve red lion shirt.

Stella Glow has really jumped in price! I have the digital version and always thought I should get the physical one just in case but not at this price!

Went to Tokyo Chikara Meshi in Nipponbashi for dinner. I wonder if the Shinjuku one east of the station is still there?

I think this was the grilled beef bowl. It was meh. Should have chikara set which I used to get. If you want cheap and lots of meat, try Tokyo Chikara Meshi.

Uniqlo ads at Umeda train station.

Games I got from Geo. Stupidly was supposedly to get Metroid Prime, got Dread again. Sigh.

And PSP Perfect Catalogue and Fire Emblem: Ankoku Ryu to Hikari no Ken.Yes I am starting a Fire Emblem buying spree.

Bayonetta 1 acrylic stand.

Finishing off the day with a fami chicken. There was a karaoke snack right in front of where I was staying and it was pretty full judging by the umbrellas. There were also plenty of snacks in Noda that seemed very quiet. Should have gone out drinking the two nights and not worry about the money.

4 comments:

Faiz Ikari said...

I think what Anno needs is good 'ol depression for him to make better movies, I still had mixed feeling towards Eva 3.0+1.0. I haven't watch his earlier(and more serious) live-action directed movies, but I did enjoyed the live-action Cutie Honey movie a lot despite its campiness.

Akiramike said...

@Faiz Ikari: I remember hearing about his mental troubles when he did Eva. He is a director that I don't see is technically good at anything. I can't name anything he is good at.

Faiz Ikari said...

He starts as an animator, his works on Gunbuster and Royal Space Force: The Wings of Honnêamise is really amazing for that era. Nadia turn out great might be because of the involvement of Hayao Miyazaki, but I haven't watch that one yet. I can agreed his reputation is a bit overrated because of Eva.

Akiramike said...

@Faiz Ikari: Wings of Honneamise is a classic! He doesn't have an anime-ish visual style when it comes to his movies like Sato Shinsuke.