Monday, May 22, 2023

Japan 2023: Day 3 Ueno Park

Next day I went to Ueno station. 90% of people were wearing masks in Japan especially on public transport although it was no longer mandatory.

Ameyoko market in Ueno. It was getting warmer and I think this was my last day of wearing trousers before I switched to shorts.

My main reason for coming was for sushi at Magurobito. The Akihabara branch is closed and there were two stores in Ueno. The queue for the first store was way too long and I came to the second store which was standing only and I only had 2 people in front of me.

Menu of what you can order outside the store. You go in and call out whatever you want.


I wasn't too impressed with the maguro 3-ten mori ie the 3 on the right with otoro, chutoro and akami. Felt like the size could have been bigger and I wasn't exactly full at the end. I ordered the 3-ten mori twice and whatever random sushi on the menu.

Book Off! I am duty bound to stop at every Book Off or Hard Off that I come across.


Randomly ran into temple in Ueno.


I think this was on the right of the picture above.

Capybarasan at Marui Ueno. Always go Marui 0101 when you see one. While most of the shops are for the ladies, they usually have pop up shops and sometimes Surugayas.

Rockman pop up shop in Marui. Did not buy anything as I don't think the goods were anything decent.

Steps going up Ueno Park. I don't think I have been here and this might be only my second time in Ueno.

Don't know who this fella is.


Are those food stalls I spy in the distance?

Temples standing between me and my food.


Here we go! I can't remember whether I ordered kurobuta (black pig) or wagyu karubi.


It was all right but nothing compares to eating hidagyu on stick in Kanazawa and Shirakawago.


I left my phone on the table when I was eating and luckily a nice girl ran after me to give me my phone back. Very grateful to her that a disaster was averted!

Saw the sign for Ueno Toshogu Peony Garden and thought this might be interesting.

Had to pay 1000 yen entrance fee.

Please excuse my lack of flower knowledge as I am unable to provide commentary.








I like this shot with the temple roof in the back.




I think were were flowers for sale at the end or maybe seeds.


Next was the Tokyo National Museum close by.

I just went with the general admission ticket. There was another special exhibition going on at the same time.

This is from the Asian gallery.

You weren't allowed to take pictures of most of the museum exhibits.

They had statues from Egypt, India and China.

Garden at the back of the museum.


Traditional Ainu clothing that had me thinking about Golden Kamuy.

I went back to Akibaha visited the Gee! store and the Roy Focker flight jacket was tempting me very much. I had told myself no T-shirts but I did not say no jackets. Managed to resist temptation somehow.


The prices of Mega Drive games at Mandarake Akiba are crazy. Glad I went crazy online shopping when Japan was closed during the pandemic. Can't imagine the prices a few years from now.

Went to Ningyocho to meet my friend Will who just happened to be in Japan at the same time. We both didn't know and only found out after we had booked our flights. I was not familiar with Ningyocho and I was a bit worried coming out of the station because it did not look like there were that many eating places. Luckily found 3 yakiniku places and randomly decided on yakiniku Happy! Main reason was that I liked the old fashioned grill and it did not look too full.

I was sick of Tokyo especially Ueno with too many freaking tourists. The less tourists there are, the happier I am. Ordering was using a tablet and Will had never had yakinuku horumon before this.

The bill was very reasonable and it is so good to go to a yakinuku and not feel ripped off. It is amazing when you are not overcharged and meat is good. Yes, I know minimum wage in Australia is higher but for Japanese food in Australia you are paying a 'Japanese tax' for food that is not as good.

6 street passes in one day! I also went to a cinema in Ueno and Slam Dunk was also sold out. :(

No comments: