Tuesday, May 23, 2023

Japan 2023 Day 4: The First Slam Dunk movie


 The previous two days I had been trying to watch this movie but it was sold out everytime. In desperation I decided to go to the 8 am screening at Wald 9 in Shinjuku.

Tokyo MER and Tokyo Revengers were also showing. I don't get Tokyo MER and Revengers. I know Revengers is popular but the trailer looked like a boy band fighting in warehouse with crying for some reason.

I managed to get a seat but surprisingly most of the seats for the 8am screening were filled. The First Slam Dunk is amazing and was animated in such a realistic way that it looked like the manga come to life. A lot of childhood property revivals are crap because they don't upgrade or modernise the shows. The First Slam Dunk is just unbelievable visually and could not have been achieved back in the day. The movie is a retelling of the Sannoh match through the eyes of Miyagi and it is glorious. The music is just pumping and I was grinning ear to ear at every scene even though I know the match by heart. Must watch amazing movie!

There is another movie that caught my attention at the cinema and that was Kaibutsu. I immediately recognised the writer's name of Sakamoto Ryomo. The composer was Sakamoto Ryuichi and the director is Hirokazu Koreeda! My favourite jdorama writer teaming up with the best current Japanese movie director besides Sato Shinsuke. Got me shaking with excitement except the release date is 2nd of June! Nooo, I want to be in Japan next week to watch this!

New Kabukicho Tower building right where the old cinema used to be next to APA hotel.

I think this Book Off was 20 minute walk east from Shinjuku Station.


Off to Nakano for lunch!

My favourite tonkotsu place in Tokyo Butayarou and this time I selected the miso tonkotsu which was good but not as good as the Hakata tonkotsu champon. Maybe I need to try the gyokai (fish) tonkotsu.

Off to Koenji Station.


and the Koenji Pal shopping street. I love shotengais and they are a lot more fun that shopping centres.

Came across this Girls Cafe and Bar for subculture fans. This is where my people hang out. I wonder if they have karaoke? Did not end up going but something to think about if I ever decide to stay in the west area next time.


My main reason for going to Koenji is the shop for all subculture, Village Vanguard aka BireBan.

I used to go to the Shimokitazawa one when I saw plays there but since I was eating at Nakano might as well go Koenji. Dead by Dailight and Silent Hill shirts.

Slam Dunk section with manga and art book. One of my main aims during this trip was to buy the whole Slam Dunk manga but it was too early to be lugging it around.

OMFG, Ningen Isu merch! Lol I could not believe it because they turn up on my youtube and they are a very not famous band.

Sonic t-shirts with characters made from Puyo Puyo. (Un)Luckily for me, the t-shirts did not have L size so I did not have to decide which one to buy.

Village Vanguard attempted to take all the money from my wallet with so many interesting artbooks. I love BireBan! It is filled with so many thing I don't need but want. Especially because I can't get them in Australia.

I was talking to the nearest Book Off when I came across this store.

That had all the Thundercat and He-Man toys. My 10 year old self with have died of happiness here.

I am sure I had most of the turtles back in the day.  How someone could have them unopened is unimaginable.

Ended up going to Kichijoji.

End of course another Book Off!

Passing through Ochanomizu. This station is so important because the rapid train gets you to Shinjuku and West of Tokyo so quickly.


Small shopping done for the day, some cheap games along with Tactics Ogre Reborn. I have the PSP version and have yet to play it. I know, my hall of shame is long.

Also bought a PSP battery from Book Off. My PSP battery is still doing decent but better to have backup. I need to find my original PSP battery as the one I am using now is a larger one.

Couldn't decide what to do for dinner so ended up with Gyukatsu Motomura in Akiba. 

There is a hot plat above the try and you cook the gyukatsu for a bit before eating. It is a bit expensive but worth doing once every trip. I should try a different gyukatsu next time.

Went to Grand Bleu for karaoke and drinking and this cat was outside when I came out. The cat kept looking up ignoring me trying to get me to go away. Lol.

Went back to hotel and it was cat videos on tv with Hachimura Rui news at the bottom. 

No comments: