Sunday, February 26, 2023

Youtuber wo Musume ni Yaran episodes 1+2

I will not give my daughter to a youtuber! has an interesting premise. Sasaki Nozomi is left at the alter by her fiancé and is left in a pinch. Lucky for her, there is a famous youtuber at her wedding called Taktak and someone who works at a tv station who helps salvage Sasaki Nozomi's ceremony. At the end of the day, both youtuber and tv station person declare their intentions to go out with Sasaki Nozomi.

The concept is appealing to me because youtuber is now a normal job and kids are growing up wanting to be youtube or tiktok stars. The stations are losing viewers and sponsorship because of new forms of media and the idea of youtuber vs traditional tv fighting over Sasaki Nozomi sounded intriguing. Plus who would not like to see what the life of a youtuber was really like? There are so many interesting stories to tell.

However, the first two episodes are anything but interesting. There are a lot of youtube jokes ie doing a lot of youtube stereotype stuff like slow motions, counting down etc and impersonating famous people. I got about half the impersonations but I did not find anything remotely funny. Endo Kenichi really tried his best as the father but nothing worked for me. I would describe it as a jdorama filled with stupid gags instead of trying to tell funny stories.

Maybe I don't have enough inside knowledge and Japanese viewers would find Youtuber wo Musume ni Yaran show funny but the execution sucked, story was boring and I did not laugh once. Do not watch. 

No comments: