Saturday, February 04, 2023

Hiru season 1 jdorama review

Hiru has a very interesting premise. We all know Japanese work very long hours and have to go drinking after work etc so are hardly at home. What if there were a underclass of people with no identities or jobs called Hiru who survive by finding these homes and living in them when the owners are not in. It is a high concept but not too far fetched beyond the realm of possibility. After all this is a country where a lot of people vanish all the time (jouhatsu) and where taking time off from work is such a big deal. 


I will accept any premise as long as it enables the jdorama to tell a good story. The story of Hiru is about Shinomiya Yuki who is a cleaner at night and comes home to find an unknown man in his apartment. The police get involved and the man who was stabbed claims that he is the real Shinomiya Yuki and  Shinomiya has to go on the run where this mysterious Hiru girl helps him and teaches him how to survive as a Hiru.

Sounds exciting doesn't it? Except Hiru is one of the most boring action/thriller shows I can remember. I am sorry WOWOW, I kept watching this 20 minute 6 episode series thinking surely Hiru will get exciting soon but it never got into second gear. I really wanted to like this show especially with Konishi Manami as the detective but I felt the writing was flat and lacked attention to detail.

The main character is annoying and worst of all Hiru season 1 feels like a preview for Hiru season 2 featuring superHiru named Kara played by Sakaguchi Kentaro. Kara is a superHiru with the powers to appear anytime the plot needed him to, to know anything the plot needed him to and made me think this show has not made me care about any of the characters. Season 1 feels like an advertisement for season 2; stay tuned for season 2 to find out the true story about Kara a character this show has not made me care any bit about.

I have to ask is Sakaguchi Kentaro a good actor because his acting is the same wherever I see him? It seems like this guy has no range although I did enjoy Kyoso no Bannin.

Hiru is such a boring WOWOW show that I want to give it a do not watch but I know its not objectively bad. SuperHiru Kara just killed the show for me. Very meh. If you want to try it out you can get it hardsubbed from irozuku fansubs.

No comments: