Tuesday, February 21, 2023

Uso no Sensou jdorama review

After watching the first 4 episodes of Wana no Sensou I decided to try Kusanagi Tsuyoshi's Uso no Sensou. Kusanagi plays Ichinose Koichi, a swindler living in Thailand taking advantage of other Japanese. 

Koichi's family was murdered when he was a child and his father was blamed for killing his family but by chance Koichi ran into the person who stabbed him and decided to return to Japan to get finally his revenge against the Nishina family.

I love revenge jdoramas, especially trashy revenge jdoramas like Fukushuu no Miboujin.  Revenge jdoramas are hard to get right though. You need the avenger to be sympathetic, the bad guys be despicable and the methods of revenge must be interesting and Koichi's method of revenge is tricking people as he infiltrates the Nishina family and gains the trust of the oldest son played by Yasuda Ken who has been demoted and makes the daughter played by Yamamoto Mizuki who is so impossibly stupid and pure fall in love with him.

I enjoyed the first few episodes but there were a few warning signs about the script like this scene in episode where Koichi told Yamamoto Mizuki that he would be waiting outside the hospital but in true jdorama fashion waited in the rain instead under cover right next to him and somehow that touched her when she should be asking why he was being an idiot. 


Or Koichi's gang gathering in a bar that is open to the public and yet we never see any custormers. That's ok, this is a trashy revenge jdorama and one of the hallmarks is that you need to turn off your brain. Have to say it is nice to Osugi Ren again.

Although I have few brain cells left to turn off, the story in Uso no Sensou become more and more soap opera and I could not turn off what little brain I have. Too many coincidences for Koichi plans to work and too many people not seeing the bleeding obvious. 

I basically fast forwarded the second half of the show just to see the ending. I am a bit worried about Wana no Sensou now. I can see some similarities and I hope it doesn't get too trashy. If you like your extremely soap opera revenge shows and can completely turn of your brain, Uso no Sensou might be for you. Me, I prefer trashy but not too much. Meh from me. Huge thank you to kyashiidesu for retiming the Japanese subs. I don't think it has been English subbed but it is very easy to watch in Japanese.

No comments: