Sunday, June 13, 2021

Rikokatsu Episodes 7+8

I really wanted to like Rikokatsu. I thought Eita's Obara Koichi character could be an interesting source of comedy and juxtaposition of showa ideas of marriage vs modern ones.

However Rikokatsu is turning out to be not as interesting as I had hoped and the worst thing was getting the Eita and Kitagawa Keiko divorced and turning it into a Kitagawa Keiko harem show.

Rikokatsu is a show about a couple who got married in a hurry without knowing anything about each other and then deciding to divorce. The fun thing was supposed to be them get to know each other while everyone on both their families go through divorce. 

Now that the couple have actually divorced quicker than they got married and the writer doing way too many bait and switch scenes, I have lost my care factor. I don't care about Kitagawa Keiko's character and her non descript editor job. What does she actually do in her job besides act as the phone friend for the writer and get pushed around?

Sadly, the writer Izumisawa Yoko also adapted the great Akuma no Bengonin but the writing in Rikokatsu just feels like its just trying to stretch the story as much as possible until the ending without being entertaining. Oh well, I was hoping Rikokatsu would be this season's Shitteru Wife but its turned into Toshi no Sakon. Meh.

1 comment:

Robert said...

This has been fun enough to keep me watching but at this point it's trying my patience with the stupidity of the main leads--too many scenes of them not saying what they want to say--and the yawnsome plotlines with the rival love interests.