Sunday, April 04, 2021

Ore no Ie no Hanashi review

Kudo Kankuro and Nagase Tomoya reuniting since their jdorama classic Tiger and Dragon with the main character being a wrestler and heir to a Noh family? Ore no Ie no Hahashi has all the makings of a smash hit. 

Plus, Tiger and Dragon made entertaining use of a traditional Japanese art rakugo so could Kudo Kankuro make lightning strike twice?

To be honest, I wasn't impressed with the first few episodes. Ore no Ie no Hanashi wasn't funny and it turned out to be a dorama about caring for Nagase Tomoya's dad. Not to mention the family dorama stuff seemed generic and I hated that Pretty Hara character and had no idea why Kudo Kankuro put a skinny dude in a wrestler's role? Surely there's plenty of muscular dudes he can put in that role?

The best parts were anything with Toda Erika in it as she plays this carer who becomes the dad's fiance who everyone suspect is gunning for the inheritance.

It took some time for me to warm up to the show when it became clear that Ore no Ie no Hanashi is about being prepared for when we will die and was not just a giving care to the elderly jdorama. Ore no Ie no Hanashi got me thinking about things like mortality and leaving things to my partner when I go.

Plus, I grew attached to the characters and Kudo Kankuro finished it with a great ending.


On the whole, a lot better than his last work Kangoku no Ohimesama and a watchable show except for Pretty Hara. One of these days I am going to need to rewatch Tiger and Dragon.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Nagase leaving Johnnys on a hight note!

Robert said...

Really looking forward to watching the last episode as this has been my favorite show this season. Not quite a smash hit but very enjoyable throughout.

Robert said...

Are there any other good jdramas that involve wrestling like this one?

Akiramike said...

@anon: Let's hope Nagase can continue to get more work.

@Robert: For wrestling, the first episode of Mahoro Ekimae Bangaichi and the movie My Dad is a Heel Wrestler. There was a really bad jdorama about a wrestling bar I don't want to remember.

Dead by Dewani said...
This comment has been removed by the author.