Wednesday, April 21, 2021

Hamsapsukebe Jdorama Awards 2020 Updated V2

UPDATE:

Thanks to Anonymous for pointing out that Shitteru Wife and Ore no Ie no Hanashi were 2021 shows! Can't believe I did not notice. Oh well, at least I do not have to rewrite the whole thing. 

 

With 24 Japan finally finished, I can turn my attention to the annual tradition of celebrating the best in Japanese doramas! The only other show from 2020 I want to watch but haven't is Kiken na Venus but I can't find half the English subs and I am too lazy to retime the Japanese ones.

This is probably the hardest awards I had to do because instead of having 5 standout must watch shows in 2020, we had at least 10 good and watchable ones so I feel like celebrating them all but what would be the point of awards then? I have had to do this list and sleep on it before revising so without further ado...

BEST ACTRESS AWARD

NAKAMA YUKIE - 24 JAPAN

Most of the year I was thinking Shibasaki Kou had it sewn up for 35-sai no Shoujo. She's got good competition from Uchida Rio (Raise wo chanto shimasu), Suzuki Kyouka (Kyouen NG) and Hirose Alice but I have to give it to Nakama Yukie in 24 Japan because her character kept me interested through the 24 episodes.

 

BEST ACTOR AWARD 

KANAME JUN - AKUMA NO BENGONIN

Technically not the most impressive acting job ever as he just has to look sullen and not smile but I just love his character and the show.


BEST SUPPORTING ACTRESS

 

SUZUKI HOMAMI - 35-SAI NO SHOUJO

Another no smiling acting role where less is more.


BEST SUPPORTING ACTOR


IKEUCHI HIROYUKI - SIREN NO ZANGE

He really made up for Araki Yuko's lack of acting ability and carried the show for her and the role of a supporting actor is to make the main actress look competent. Plus he did a decent job in 24 Japan. Always good at supporting roles.


BEST JDORAMAS OF 2020


5. RAISE DE WA CHANTO SHIMASU

Very well done sex comedy that isn't about virgins. You have no idea how refreshing that is and I hope sex comedy jdoramas can now move on. (As if) Seriously, its a very fun feel good show.

4. ISEKAI IZAKAYA NOBU

Who would have thought a light novel turned jdorama about a izakaya in a medievil land would be so entertaining and would get me through covid lockdown? Super super feel good jdorama for me. Sorry Ore no Ie no Hanashi, this should be your spot.

3. COLD CASE SEASON 3

Episode 9 was one of the most unforgettable episodes ever and Season 3 is the strongest Cold Case yet.

2. AKUMA NO BENGONIN

Its a bit of a cheat to put this here since it started in 2019 but what the hell, I love this show more than I should and it is infinitely rewatchable. It has every reason to be a bad jdorama but its so understatedly good.

1. ALICE IN BORDERLAND

By the jdorama gods! This is what happens when Netflix money and time meets one of the best jmovie directors in Sato Shinsuke.

 

SUMMARY

This is one of the weirdest awards post where the jdorama that got two acting awards didn't get into the top 5 but I guess this is what happens when there are a lot of decent jdoramas and not enough must watch ones. If you said that the top 5 jdoramas of 2020 should be 35-sai no Shoujo,High Position, Tetsu no Hone and Konya wa kono ji de, I would not argue except for Alice in Borderland for the sheer quality.

8 comments:

Rick said...

I've been looking forward to your list for 2020. Haven't seen any of these shows but will attend to that ASAP, as I know I can depend on your recommendations. Thank you for all the time you put into this project, that then saves me time.

Anonymous said...

Shitteru wife and ore no ie no hanashi are 2021 dramas though?

Anonymous said...

Anonymous said...

Shitteru wife and ore no ie no hanashi are 2021 dramas though?

Yes they are, so I look forward to an updated 2020 list! :-P

Anonymous said...

Kokoro no kizu was an exceptional drama

Anonymous said...

https://ecotv-subs.livejournal.com/ subbed Venus, but quality isn't good

Akiramike said...

@Anonymous: Thanks for pointing out the 2021 shows! No idea how that completely slipped my mind!

suppaf said...

Thanks as usual for your recommendations! I missed a couple of them actually :o

Akiramike said...

@suppaf: No worries, hope you find the shows enjoyable!