Tuesday, August 25, 2020

BG Shinpei Keigonin

It has been a very, very long time since Kimutaku has done a watchable jdorama. Every since he became the weak point of Karei naru Ichizoku, he has consistently been in crappy shows like Change, Mr Brain, Tsuki no Koibito and I basically avoided every single one of his shows until the game Judge Eyes came out last year.

Decided to give BG a shot and good news is that it is nowhere as bad as SP another bodyguard show starring Okada Junichi and Tsustumi Shinichi. The action is decent and there's no particular action scene that does not make any sense geography wise. There is a stand up scene at the end in a restaurant that went a bit too long but I am just happy there was nothing stupid in BG.

Like most Kimutaku shows, he has surrounded himself him veterans from Eguchi Yosuke playing his rival to Kamikawa Takaya as his boss. I also particularly enjoy his chemistry with Saito Takumi who plays the colleague who dislikes Kimutaku the most.

The best thing about the show is Ishida Yuriko's character who a former reporter turned minister who has to deal with many policitical problems. 

She starts off as a character with dubious motivations but the more I find out about her character, the more I get invested.

The only negative thing I can say is that Nanao's character feels wasted. I have no idea what she brings to the table but I am just glad they didn't give her any stupid bullshit hacking skills or something.

BG is perhaps Kimutaku's first decent show in forever and a decent choice if you are after a watchable action jdorama.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

To think I'd live to see Kimutaku middle-aged. Somehow it's hard to make the mental shift.

Faiz Ikari said...

Hi Akiramike, did you watch Sion Sono's The Forest of Love: Deep Cut Netflix series? Want to know whats your opinion towards it or if you plan to watch it and review it.

Akiramike said...

@Faiz Ikari: No I have not and was not even aware of it. I haven't watched a Sono Sion movie since Minna Esper Dayo. He must have made 20 movies since then!

Anonymous said...

Hi Akiramike, still waiting on your hanzawa naoki season 2 commentary. For the lulz. It's admittedly worse than the first season though, previous one at least had gusto . .

Faiz Ikari said...

Man, that Minna Esper Dayo movie left such a but taste in my mouth until the point it feels nauseous to watch newer Sion Sano movie. Haha.

Anonymous said...

I saw a lot of comments out there saiyng that BG-season 2 was indeed better than the season 1. I hope it's true then. Thanks for the review as always