Monday, June 08, 2020

Hikinukiya: Headhunter no Ryugi Episodes 2-5

I really wanted to like Hikinukiya but there's something about the show that seems off and that's because I would have enjoyed it more if it were called the 'Faun Takeover' as Hikinukiya gave me a certain set up expectations that it did not fulfill.

First of all, calling it Hikinukiya tells me that is an occupation jdorama and I love occupation jdoramas because they can go into the minutiae of how a job works and I would still be entertained. I want to see the day to day, what skills a person in a certain job needs to get from point A to B to C.

In Hikinukiya, we don't really see any certain skills from our main character played by Matsushita Nao. Episode 2 was probably the best episode with Watabe Atsuro's friend who was hired to fire people and ultimately to be fired but episode 3 was another run of the mill father son story which you can find in any jdorama.


Matsushita Nao's job is just about making long lists and her key to victory is tied to hers and Uchida Yuki's night job of working at a kyabakura. The whole kayabakura thing with Akuma no Bengonin Kaname Jun is wayyyyy to convenient, especially how information keeps falling onto her lap.

The networking and information gathering aspect of her job was too easily condensed into working in a kyabakura and instead of working to make clients happy, she has clients giving her all sorts of information. I just cannot agree with it as a tool for dumping information.

Also, I do not agree with how concerned the Forte Flows people were with the Faun problem. It had absolutely no connection with their work and they were treating it like a company crisis.

Is Forte Flows a headhunting company or a busy body let's worry about an unrelated company getting taken over by Chinese because this is will somehow generate some profit from us?

To sum it up, I don't feel like Matsushita Nao got her fingernails dirty doing her job as the Hikinukiya and I have to give the show a meh.

No comments: