Friday, September 07, 2018

Takane no Hana Episodes 5+6

After 6 episodes I still don't get Takane no Hana. So Kazunobu Mineta loses his virginity to Ishihara Satomi and the next thing we know they are getting married? Did I somehow skipped a couple of episodes where both people learned more about each other and went on dates and maybe an overseas trip?

We get some distractions like Ishihara Satomi finding out that her father was responsible for her fiancee leaving her and us viewers finding out who the dad was. Personally, if Ishihara Satomi's ex-fiancee was stupid enough to get caught then its on him. I find it difficult to care about the politics of this family that somehow has lots of money and followers by sticking flowers into pots.

Then at the end of episode 5 we have the evil father who Ishihara Satomi had told people not to trust tells her some story about her mother and how he did everything because of this promise to her mother and she buys it hook, line and sinker.

It is then we find out the whole point of this story which is that in order to fulfill her destiny and become a greater artist she must cause someone the same pain that she felt and the guilt will propel her to further artistic greatness or something like that.

Somehow, Kazunobu Mineta is aware of this and is happy to play the sacrificial lamb. To me, the relationship between Kazunobu and Ishihara did not develop to a point that it felt real and I could care. He at this point just feels like some self sacrificing idiot who I don't care about.

You know what's the worst thing? Kazanobu's character is playing along with this charade and at the very end when he is suppose to give Ishihara this look of anguish that will propel her to greater heights, he gives her a goofy grin so that she will spend the rest of her days wondering if he actually knew and why the hell he didn't do anything about it.

Maybe Kazunobu is not such a self sacrificing idiot after all. Maybe this is his reverse way to get Ishihara to think about him more. And now, she'll really never be able to forget him. I don't know. I still love Nojima Shinji's dialogue. Takane no Hana feels more like a play than a dorama series. I'm confused but I'll keep watching.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Did you watch Switched on Netflix? It's suprisingly good, high quality production

Anonymous said...

do you still recommend the drama? :/

Akiramike said...

@Anon : I have not seen Switched yet although I've already seen the anime and movie. Would I still recommend Takane no Hana? At the moment, not really. I find the dialogue fun but I don't really 'get' the story.

Shane said...

Just finished the whole series. Absolutely loved it. Not perfect, but Nojima Shinji is on a different level to to other writers. I would definitely recommend this show.