Monday, September 24, 2018

Kenkou de Bunkatekina Saitei Gendo no Seikatsu Episode 1-3

Once upon a time, Fukakyon was in a jdorama about welfare workers called Silent Poor and it was so bad I could not even find the words to describe it. Since then, I don't think we're had another welfare dorama. We've had one thousand doramas about middle class housewives, single, struggling women who can somehow afford to wear a new outfit everyday but its not often we see jdoramas about people on struggle street.


I don't really like the main girl Yoshitsune played by Yoshioka Riho. She's a bit too asadora, cares too deeply and goes way out of her way to solve her clients' problems instead of enabling them to solve it themselves.

I just want to say, I can't believe this guy has gone from playing supporting roles to kacho roles. I feel old.

Case in point, the single mother family in episodes 2 and 3 where the son is working part time. Yoshitsune beats herself up way too much for making a possibility sound like a fact when anyone with a brain knows that if you receive welfare money, you better make sure you declare any income. I really couldn't get the family playing this victim card and Yoshitsune being way to nice. I'm pretty sure she's got plenty of other people to look into.

However, the bright spot of the show besides all the welfare stuff is Endo Kenichi as this dude who has hit rock bottom and all Yoshitsune had to do to help him was convince him to get some legal advice on his debts. I have zero empathy for the other characters but Endo Kenichi's scene about the beer at the konbini in so simple and pure. I hope to see an episode where Yoshitsune has to match wits with someone who is cheating the welfare system and knows how to get away with it.

I am going to continue watching because I want to see the ins and outs of the Japanese welfare system and because Endo Kenichi makes everything watchable. Saitei Gendo no Seikatsu might not be the next Juhan Shuutai but as long as it doesn't become sob story of the week, I'll be satisfied. Watchable. Thanks to Shane for recommending.

2 comments:

Shane said...

I would tend to agree with most of this.

One thing you forgot to mention is just how cute Yoshioka Riho is!

Sonna~ said...

I was humming and hawing about this one.


I don't really like the main girl Yoshitsune played by Yoshioka Riho. She's a bit too asadora, cares too deeply and goes way out of her way to solve her clients' problems instead of enabling them to solve it themselves.

This is not uncommon with new teachers, new social workers, new lawyers, and new people in certain professions. Some people are just fixers. She may have gotten into this to "fix" people. I genuinely hope she learns from this in the future because there's a lot of potential for character development.

I sometimes come across people who are almost illiterate in my line of work too.