Sunday, August 21, 2016

How Soshite, Dare mo Inaku Natta was made.

The following conversation might have or might not have happened at the offices of NTV.

Producer 1: Ok. Let's hear your pitch.

Writer: Last year, the my 'number system' was introduced. Some people are worried about this system because it reduces a person to a set of numbers and allows the government access to things like your bank account. I want to do a slow burn thriller about someone slowly discovering that someone has been using their 'my number' to steal their identity.

Producer 2: Hhhmm. Sounds ok but I think you are thinking too small.

Producer 1: I like your idea but let's take it one step further. How about if the main character creates a system that can delete any persons information on the internet and every computer!

Writer: That sounds like a lot more than one step from someone using another person's my number. Data on the internet is not so easily deleted as its stored in many different places. And you are talking about a system that can bypass any and all security!

Producer 2: Why do your writers' have no imagination? Do we have to do your job for you? If that Snowden person can hack wikileaks than anything can happen!

Writer: Snowden and wikileaks are two different things and have nothing to do with a computer system that can...

Producer 1: Stop complaining! If I can catch Pikachu in Shinjuku Goen, then a computer system can erase all my dick pics I send my hostesses before my wife finds out!

Producer 2: Wait, you've given me a real good idea! Let's call this computer system Miss Erase! I am a genius!

Writer: I don't see the correlation between Pikachu and being able to access every server and computer....


Producer 1: My man, that is why we get paid the big bucks. They don't pay us enough money to write doramas as well or else I would do it!

Writer: Assuming if such a thing were possible, this is more than just identity theft! Miss Erase would be a weapon of mass destruction! We're talking matters of national security and political implications...

Producer 2: Woah. Let's not make things complicated cause the Japanese audience like things simple. Instead, I want you to give the main character a bunch of old friends who hate secretly hate him.

Writer: For what reason?

Producer 1: Just make it up as you go! Have someone die in episode 3 or something, I don't care. We just need to create as many mysteries as possible to hook the audience.

Producer 2: I think once the audience hears the name Miss Erase, they will be hooked because it will strike fear into their hearts!

2 comments:

Buck said...

Lol that kind of conversation must take place in every network in Japan. Too bad it's got Fumi Nikaido. I often think she has the knack for picking good project.

Sonna~ said...

Hahaha that's a good one. Sounds like something that could be good but just... failed.