Sunday, March 17, 2024

Ryomaden Eps 16~30

I am more than half way through this 49 episode taiga dorama and I have learned that Sakamoto Ryoma's greatness is that he could have had Hirosue Ryoko or Kanjiya Shihori but gave them up for Maki Yoko as Oryo. It hasn't happened as of episode 30 yet, I only know because they were together in RGG Ishin! and Sakuraba Nanami played Oryo.

If I can be series for a minute, I am glad that all the Takechi Hanpeita is over because the Nagasaki part of this story is where Sakamoto Ryoma is most interesting. This is the Ryoma that I know from Shinsengumi! and I appreciate that Ryomaden has given me a lot of info on the Choshu and Satsuma rivalry and how the Shogunate uses clan rivalries to consolidate their power.

I think episodes 31-49 will be the best parts because this will show Sakamoto Ryoma's contribution to the Meiji Restoration and also how Yataro will finally create Mitsubushi. I enjoyed Kinpachi sensei as the boss of the naval training center. It is a shame that they did all the ground training and did not get much particle sea experience.

Nagasaki is interesting because Japan was a country where samurai lived for their lord and clan and Nagasaki was a port city where there was a clash of cultures and it was about making money instead undying fealty to one's lord like Takechi Hanpeita who would be happy just being acknowledged by his lord.

Japanese at that time placed more importance on clan and did not really identify with being Japanese and Sakamoto thought that nationalism was important to protecting Japan from foreigners. I feel an urge to watch the new Kenshin anime series and to replay RGG Ishin again with Takahashi Katsunori and Takechi Hanpeita.

Edit: Did not realise that John Manjiro was played by Tortoise Matsumoto, the singer of Ulfuls!

No comments: