Sunday, October 15, 2023

Paripi Komei Episodes 1~2

 

WHAT IS IT ABOUT

Mukai Osamu is Komei aka Zhuge Liang aka Kongming, one of the famous people from Romance of the 3 kingdoms and apparently the smartest man in the story. Komei gets sick and dies and is transported to modern Japan where he becomes the manager to singer Eiko played by Kamishiraishi Moka. Komei uses his stategies from Romance of 3 kingdoms in order to bring Eiko to the top.

WHAT I LIKED

+ Paripi Komei looks very good. The colours pop, lots of shadows and I like the filter that they are using. The indoor sets are so nice to look at. This is the anti TBS like everything with the power of a thousand suns look. I wonder if the director has a background in music videos aka pvs in Japan.

+ Nice music performance videos. 


+ Kamishiraishi Moka is a great casting choice. The only appropriate actresses are her or her sister.

+ Mukai Osamu is good as Komei who is so smart smoke comes out of his head when he is coming up with a plan.

+ Komei using battle strategies from Romance of the 3 kingdoms should be fun for fans who know the stories.


WHAT I DIDN'T LIKE

- For a comedic story, nothing has made me laugh in the first two episodes. I am expecting Saint Young Men level of comedy.

- Non of the music has grabbed me yet but I have a feeling they are saving the best for later in the series.

SUMMARY

I have not read the mange but I think it is well executed in terms of effort, looks and casting. Hopefully it will get funnier as the series goes on. Looking forward to next episode. Thanks to skewed translations for subbing and I got the raws from drama-otaku which unfortunately has been down for the past 2 days. Watchable. For people who like historical people out of time comedies.

No comments: