Wednesday, August 30, 2023

Themis no Kyukei jdorama review

HPriest has been on a roll subbing old WOWOW shows and Themis no Kyukei is a legal drama with Naka Riisa in the leading role. Naka Riisa's father was a policeman working at a police box/koban one night when he was murdered. On a side note, I love the use of yellows in the above screenshot. When it is all drab colours and raining, a bit of colour brings attention to the main character and the look of shock on her face.

The suspect was Kentaro someone Naka Riisa's father had questioned before. Kentaro pleads guilty to prosecutor played by Kishitani Goro and is sentenced to jail. Naka Riisa respects Kishitani Goro for extracting the confession and becomes an administrative officer at the public prosecutor's office and she respects Kishitani Goro for her father's case. 

Naka Riisa get's a phone call from Kentaro's dad and goes to see him and he shows her Kentaro's suicide note pleading his innocence. A reporter confronts Naka Riisa with allegations that Kentaro was not the killer and she begins to suspect Kishitani Goro. 

It is interesting I am watching Themis no Kyukei after watching Keiji to Kenji Tokidoki Hanki because in jdorama-land it is kind of weird how police and prosecutors both exist to extract confessions from suspects. In American shows it is more persuading someone to plead guilty to get a lesser sentence but in jdoramas it feels like the suspect is just going through another round of interrogations.

I watched Themis no Kyukei straight after HPriests subs them but I have to say I was somehow disorientated at the start of each episode even with the short 30 second recap so I recommend watching the 4 episodes in one go. Either that or I am losing whatever brain cells I have left. It is a show about how if people in power do not do their job correctly, innocent people will suffer.

I enjoyed watching Naka Riisa in the lead role and while the bad guy is very obvious from the beginning, the way the mystery is solved step by step is still interesting. Themis no Kyukei went from a fugitive show back to a court case show which also coincided with me playing Gyakuten Saiban so I felt like the two stories melded into one for me lol. A decent WOWOW show to spend you time watching. 4 episodes make it short. Its not that memorable but its not a waste of your time. Watchable especially if you are a Naka Riisa fan. I remember seeing her for the first time years ago in 81 Diver. That was a fun show.

No comments: