Tuesday, August 01, 2023

Keibuho Daimajin Episodes 1~3

I never imagined that one day I would be watching a Miike Takashi movie. I also never imagined that Miike would make so many bad movies after I first saw Ichi the Killer many years ago. I think the last Miike movie I liked was Shield of Straw. He's made so many bad movies but he also did Gyakuten Saiban/Ace Attorney and Sun Scarred. Miike can make good movies if works within the stories and does not do whatever he wants.

Keibuho Daimajin is about Daiba Jin, a detective how finds out that a serial killer is a high ranking police officer and Daiba kills the guy because the law won't touch him. Mukai Osamu finds out Daiba's secret and blackmails Daiba into working for him in his special investigations team which was created to investigate cold cases but Mukai Osamu wants to use for something else. Tsuchiya Tao is also chasing the serial killer case and is keeping an eye on Daiba.

In short main Keibuho Daimajin is about a character killed for justice and is being blackmailed by mysterious and manipulative person while trying to fend off another police office is on his tail.

WHAT I LIKED

+ Miike's directing style is different from what we usually see in jdoramas and is refreshing.

+ Mukai Osamu is great as the manipulative Hirayasu Saimon.

+ Tsuchiya Tao and Narumi Riko are in it! Not enough Narumi Riko in the first 3 episodes though.


WHAT I DIDN'T LIKE

- Miike's colour palette is very muted. Feels very earthy with a lot of yellow. Maybe he wanted Daiba Jin's coat to stand out. I don't think it looks particularly good.

- You cast Tsuchiya Tao and she doesn't get to do action scenes? There is a scene in episode 3 where she is supposed to be chasing Daiba but doesn't do anything. Has anyone seen her in Alice in Borderland. She better have some action scenes soon!

SUMMARY

I am keeping my hopes low and expecting an ok show. I still don't know how to rate it but so far I don't dislike Keibuho Daimajin. Thanks to monchi for subbing

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Tsuchiya Tao was pregnant filming this drama. She gave birth last week

Akiramike said...

@Anon: Tsuchiya Tao being pregnant explains a lot!