Monday, April 13, 2020

Jmovie Review: Asako 1 & 2 aka Netemo Sametemo

Asako 1 & 2 is an artsy and mellow movie starring Karata Erika and Higashide Masahiro and no its two movies, just one movie. I guess someone decided 'Even when I'm asleep or awake' would not make catchy title in English.

Karata Erika plays the main character Asako a shy, nondescript girl who falls in love instantly with Baku, a charming guy who has no aims in life and will disappear at a whim.

In fact, this Baku character is very similar to the neighbour DJ from Nagi no Oitama. I wonder if the writer for Nagi stole him from Asako or maybe its a well known Japanese stereotype.

One day Baku disappears and two years later, Asako runs into Ryohei, a person who looks exactly like Baku but has a different character.

My main impression of Asako is that while Karat Erika is very photogenic, there is not much depth to her character. The whole movie is about whether she likes Ryohei because he looks like Baku and besides that, there is nothing much to her character.

To the movie's credit, I never felt bored but the script could have better shown us Asako's internal struggle. 

I feel like I've watched this character Asako for two hours and I felt like I still don't know her as she kept herself at arms length from her friends and the audience.

One thing this movie should have done was given Asako a different look for the 2nd half of the movie to show the passage of time. Maybe Asako purposely kept the same look on purpose? Hhhmm.

Ultimately I feel Asako 1 & 2 could have been a lot better but ultimately it will be remembered as the movie that started the affair. Slightly watchable and available from avistaz.

No comments: