Thursday, August 09, 2018

Genkai Danchi Episodes 6-8

There are two things I do not like about Genkai Danchi. First is Terauchi hammering a hole in the wall when it would have been much easier to knock the door down. I know crazy guy showing his face through the hole and the wall has a bigger dramatic effect but time was of the essence and I'm pretty sure doors break a lot easier than walls.


The second is that the last episodes was a bit all over the place, as if the writer wasn't sure how to end it and should have been tighter. I liked where the story ultimately ended up but I think it could have been done better.

However, in the end Genkai Danchi is what happens when a good script meets good acting regardless of budget. Genkai Danchi is to Sano Shiro what Ashita no Kita Yoshio is to Kohinata Fumiyo; his defining role and I shall henceforth refer to Sano Shiro as Terauchi-san aka Danchiman.


I've certainly bought a lot of Adachi Rika stock with her performance as neighbour chosen by Terauchi to be Honoka's mother. She's always in very mainstream doramas and high school movies although she's in her mid 20s so I don't normally see her stuff. Hats off to her manager for getting her into Genkai Danchi.


Despite my two misgivings about Genkai Danchi at the top of the review, it really is a must watch show where the villain is the main character. Big thanks to Monchi for subbing this!

No comments: