Tuesday, October 01, 2024

Japan trip 2024 days 1+2: Osaka

Kitagawa Keiko welcoming me back to Japan for my 3 week trip.

This is my first time landing at Kansai airport. Felt a bit weird deciding to start at Kansai for the first time ever but my first 3 main events were in the area so the decision was easy.

First thing I had was of course a famichicken....

And guess who was on tv? Imai Miki! (hint hint)

Coco Ichi for dinner. Tejikomi katsu with scrambled egg topping. Yum. Unfortunately, I think this was my only Coco Ichi for the trip.


Went to my usual bar Uzu.

I was going to ask Kira if she could help me get a Yamazaki or a Hakushu but she said said she'd be lucky to get a bottle of Hakushu a week.

It was bloody hot in Japan. Peak summer weather in September.

One of the reasons of the heat was the typhoon down in Okinawa. Speaking of typhoons, it was so freaking stressful watching the Japanese everyday a month before I landed. Typhoons and earthquake warning. I just missed typhoon no 10 the week before I went which shut down trains. I have had to change my plans because of typhoons but my schedule for the first week and a half was busy.


Went to the cinema at Osaka station to see what was on and looks like Mitani Koki has a new movie coming out. When I was planning this trip I was hoping that Oi Handsome! would still be showing but looks like it has finished. :(


In all the years I never noticed a farm on top of Osaka station. Or maybe I just forgot. Unfortunately there wasn't anything much to see there.

Went Yodobashi Umeda.

I will never buy another Persona game again but I will buy Metaphor and give it a go when it comes up. Not many people doing original fantasy games. My expectations are very low.


Wandered to Umeda and came across the Hanjyu Brick Museum with lots of Lego on display.

I think this is supposed to be Osaka in the future.

When to Loft in Umeda where Surugaya is supposed to be but Loft had not opened.

And Surugaya had moved next door with Junkudo! Nice! Kinokuniya used to be my favourite bookstore but now I prefer Junkudo.

I think I should have bought that Onimusha Tactics because I have not seen another copy anywhere.

I am not buying any figures this trip.

I want to go back in time 15 years ago before Mega Drive games got so expensive.

Replica Allosaurus skull.


Village Vanguard on top of Loft. The sad news from last month was that Village Vanguard was in trouble ie running in the red and many stores would be closing. Bireban is at the forefront of Japanese subculture and I hope they survive. I would describe Bireban as the shop that sold you things you did not know you needed!


Found what I was looking for which were Street Fighter stickers but this Bireban did not have everything.

Look at this awesome Street Fighter section! I am ready to support Bireban!

6380 yen for a freaking t-shirt? Who do you think you are? TorchTorch? I want to support Bireband and Capcom but don't rip off your fans!

Went to Kamitora ramen which is in the Osaka Ekimae Dai yon Building. I like this underground eating area because tourist don't know about it. I came across Kamitora last year but did not eat it because I was worried I would get sick of tonkotsu ramen. Not this year.

By the jdorama gods, Osaka finally has a tonkotsu ramen to rival the like of Issou! This is effing really good. I have had ok ones in Osaka like Mankai which everyone mentions but I am impressed with Kamitora. This is amazing. Of course, everyone I tell do not care because Osaka people not into tonkosu.

Capcom Umeda sucks for Street Fighter merch.

8800 yen for a t-shirt. FFS Capcom. Why you screwing your fans?

Went to Surugaya Nipponbashi. First time I have seen Jungle Strike.

And the first Ryu ga Gotoku on Wii U I have ever seen in my life! Seriously, I have never seen in all the years of going to Book Offs and Surugayas. I don't need it but I would be fun playing RGG2 with the map on the Wii U Gamepad.

The one game I definitely had to get on this trip of Breath of Fire 2 on the GBA and the nearly 20000 yen price shocked me. I remember seeing much lower prices on my last trip.

Wait, are you telling me Madoka Magika is still going on?


It was hot as hell and this old man and sitting outside frying tempura and I had to eat this.


I recognise the actor on the right. He was in Koukou Kyoushi 1993!


The ebi buta tendon came with a lot of meat! Very cheap and filling!

That is one crazy expensive Bayonetta figure! Maybe I should have bought it when it came out but O remember thinking something seemed off.



Crazy amount of rain came down and for the first time ever, there was no konbini round the corner to buy and umbrella. There always seems to be konbini in every corner except when you need one.


Ghost in the Shell : SAC t-shirts going for 590 yen at GU!!! Unfortunately no L size for Batou!! Why? I spent about 20 minutes debating whether to buy because the designs were not good.

In the end I did not buy because I would not wear them anyway. I love GITS: SAC and really wanted to support it.

The sign at Fukushima station never been made upright since the typhoon maybe 10 years ago?

My first 3DS street pass after running around Umeda and Nipponbashi. Day 3 I will got to somewhere in Japan I have never gone before for a concert!

No comments: