Saturday, August 24, 2024

Shinjuku Yasen Byouin episode 1

Kudokan is a very busy man. He finished the very memorable Extremely Inappropriate! and now he has another show, this time for TBS about a hospital in Kabukicho that looks after people at the bottom of Japanese society like foreigners. On a side note, I have been unable to get the songs from Futekisetsu ni mo Hodo ga Aru! from my head. Despite not being must watch overall, Kudokan has created one of the most rewatchable jdoramas ever.

Shinjuku Yasen Byouin is a very chaotic jdorama. We are introduced to the various colourful staff members of this hospital including a dermatologist who wants to open his own beauty clinic but the main thing is that the hospital is losing money and does not have a surgeon.

Koike Eiko is a American Japanese who gets too drunk and finds her way to the hospital. I cannot stand her character. Her English is so bad and has no hint of someone who grew up in USA. I mean, this is a jdorama right and this is supposed to be funny like Furuta Arata Galcir but she is not funny at all. She is a super annoying stereotype for a Japanese audience.

The funniest bit of episode one was when the old doctor stood up and asked which company was involved in the shooting but overwise, I could hardly keep my attention during the first episode. Episode 1 was too chaotic for me and I could not latch onto any character. I want to like Shinjuku Yasen Byouin because it is about people with no place to go but nothing in episode 1 clicked with me.

Maybe Shinjuku Yasen Byouin gets better after episode 1 and this is Kudokan after all but there is too much to watch and I don't think I can ever stand Koike Eiko's character.

No comments: