Thursday, January 11, 2024

10 things about Ichiban Sukina Hana Episodes 1~5

1. I am a simple man; if I see a jdorama with Tabe Mikako and Imada Mio in it, I am biologically and scientifically compelled to watch it.

2. The beginning of episode 1 introduces us to our 4 main characters; the cram school teacher played by Tabe Mikako, publishing company played by Matsushita Kouhei, Imada Mio who is a hairdresser Momiji who works at a combini all declaring that they are not going at facing people one and for some reason there is rousing music before the title.

3. Tabe Mikako's problem is that she has a male best friend who is getting married who is a bit worried about the best friend thing. I must say the chemistry between Tabe Mikako and Nakano Taiga is very good.

4. There is no way to say this politely so I will just say it. Tabe Mikako's face is in danger of turning plastic and losing her ability to do facial expressions. I know no one has a natural face in jdoramas but why is everyone turning into frozen faces? The face is such an important acting tool and it is like an athelete reducing their range of motion for the sake of not looking normal.

5. Did I mention how good it is to see Tabe Mikako and Imada Mio in the same show?

6. The only thing I don't like besides the overuse of rousing music while people are doing normal things is I don't get the konbini guy at all and his story bored me.

7. Does Imada Mio have the biggest eyes in all of jdorama-land since Kobayashi Ryoko? I know I should not be admiring her eyes after complaining about plastic faces but there is a Japanese saying 'kore wa kore, are wa are'.

8. Main dude's story is that he gets dumped by Usuda Asami who is turning very plastic as well and somehow he is able to keep paying the house mortgage by himself while his 3 new friends turn the house into their own clubhouse.

9. Ichiban Sukina Hana is a show about friendship among 4 people and its a game of who is going to get with who or are they going to stay friends?

10. Thanks to Harunotakee for subbing. If you like the actresses like I do then there is no reason not to watch. It was been a fun 5 episodes so far.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Something has changed to fundamentally morph both beauty standards for Japan stars and the surgery that chases it.

I am almost taken aback by its speed (but not surprised).

When you do a general Japan post, probably best to discuss it there.

HH said...

I like the cast but the writing at least for episode 1 is so amateurish it felt like a practice run from a student. I keep thinking back about Quartet (I know, I know, there's only one Sakamoto Yuji). Now THAT'S how you introduce 4 characters.
Tabe Mikako is down right scary. When I saw Everyday a good day (great movie btw) I was shocked at how different she looked. Her face practically has no movement anymore. Also didn't help she acted alongside Kuroki Haru in that movie.

Akiramike said...

@HH: I would not disagree with you about Sakamoto Yuji and Tabe Mikako.

jeff-tiger said...

I enjoyed your comments about this drama. I also had the same initial reaction to the presence of Tabe Mikako and Imada Mio! And like you, I didn't feel like the konbini guy fit in very well, both in terms of backstory and age. But recent episodes have given us a bit more insight into his story and he's gotten a little more interesting. I hadn't thought much about facial expressions, but you're right that Tabe-san has a weirdly frozen expression much of the time.