Sunday, June 26, 2022

My Family jdorama review

My Family is yet another family kidnapping whodunnit dorama ala Shinhanin Flag starring the one Johnny who can act Nino as the CEO of a mobile game company, Tabe Mikako as the wife and Tamaki Hiroshi as a cop.

On a side note, Tabe Mikako and Tamaki Hiroshi were once in one of my favourite jdoramas ever, Shikaotoko Aoniyoshi. I need to rewatch that show one day. Anyways Nino and Tabe Mikako's daughter gets kidnapped, police get called in and the story becomes a parents of kidnapped daughter story vs police as Nino just wants to remove any police interference.

I kind of like the parents vs police angle as it is not something you usually see. In the middle of the series, the story does go in a WTF direction that makes Nino's character look very stupid but it sort of fits with the theme of the show of anti police involvement in ransom kidnappings.

The big twist near the end was an even bigger WTF which I don't even know what to feel. Sometimes its hard to have an opinion about everything. My reactions to the twists was 'Eh? Whatever..'. I like the best friends of Nino who are a lawyer and ex police officer turned bodyguard.

In summary, I really like the talent involved in My Family and I like that it is doing a twist to your usual kidnapping jdoramas but I am not sure how I feel about the twists. Its kept watching until the end and I don't hate it.

I like My Family more than Shinhanin Flag and the question is should you watch it? My Family is not a must watch and if you like the cast and you are in the mood for a whudunnit then give the first few episodes a try. I give it a kinda watchable rating and you can download it hardsubbed from Blitz fansubs.

6 comments:

Jimbanta said...

I found this messy drama kinda enjoyable (maybe because I kinda like Nino). Btw, have you watch any of these dramas below?
- what did you eat yesterday?
- Eat And Sleep at Camp Alone.
- In the room.
- Q10.
- He's Expecting.

junny said...

I dropped this one after the first episode because I don't like Nino's acting and don't think he's much of an actor. I read about the ending and it kind of made me glad I dropped it. Hope to see Tamaki Hiroshi and Tabe Mikako reunite in another drama, they were great together in Shikaotoko Aoniyoshi.

Akiramike said...

@Jimbanta: No I have not seen any of the shows on your list. Is anyone of them a must watch?

@junny: Yeah the ending is kind of ehhh.

Anonymous said...

I've seen some of the dramas. They're nice, but not a must watch

Jimbanta said...

@Akiramike: I think only “what did you eat yesterday?” is a must watch because it gives a more mature and natural look in a genre that can be quite gimmicky ( you have no idea how many bad Japanese Gay romance I watched). Also, it has cooking scenes:))
- Eat and Sleep at a Camp Alone has Kaho in it as a lead (I can see many people consider this drama boring though).
- In The Room is just a simple drama about a psychologist (inagaki goro) and a bunch of student patients (Johnny’s and Idols) have a one-on-one section where they talk about their problems. It mostly just talking and focusing on their acting ability. Some were good, some were bad.
- Q10 is kinda old and it has Sato Takeru as lead, Mayuko Fukuda as support. Maeda Atsuko is also a lead but she plays a robot so is all good. Back in the day, I remembered this drama is a quirky and somewhat decent one.
- He’s Expecting is just not that good but I found the people’s reaction to this drama hilarious. This one gets bomb rating on IMDB (majority rated 1/10) and a lot of people claim this is the worst drama they have ever seen (woke awful drama or some shit). I think this is not your kinda thing but if you have time, you can check out 1-2 eps.

Akiramike said...

@Jimbanta - Thank for the write up. I have not seen Fukuda Mayuka in forever! I am pretty sure I skipped Q10 because of Acchan.