Wednesday, May 25, 2022

Tsuma, Shougakusei ni Naru jdorama review

Once upon a time, there was a jmovie called Himitsu and it was good. It was about a husband who's wife swapped bodies with the daughter and was basically a wife became a high schooler story. They turned Himitsu into a jdorama but I don't think I liked it though I never wrote a review about it. (Might try to find it and put it in my watchlist)

When I saw Tsuma, Shougakusei ni Naru, I certainly was not enthused. I could not imagine wife being a primary schooler being any interesting and it would be devoid of any sexual tension. However Tsutsumi Shinichi and Ishida Yuriko were in it so I had to give it a try.

First thing I noticed is that the camera and visuals are slightly better than the usual generic TBS work. The main thing I noticed is that the actress playing the primary schooler, Nono Maida is effing very good. Her casting makes this show. I bloody believe that she is Ishida Yuriko in a high schooler's body.

I was hooked from the first episode which was about Tsutsumi Shinichi and daughter living like zombies and not moving on after losing wife and mother Ishida Yuriko. The first episodes was a really strong story about depression and grief. Well, you could say the whole series is a strong story about depression and grief and finding one's reason to live.

Tsuma, Shougakusei ni Naru is an example of a high concept jdorama that takes full advantage and it and takes the story to interesting and moving places. I kept my hopes down hoping for the best and Tsuma, Shougakusei ni Naru had me very excited with every twist and turn to watch the next episode.

Of course, Tsutsumi Shinichi's relationship with his wife is very chaste. They have to turn his character into a bumbling person who wants to be told what to do by his wife in order to function. Not a complaint, just an observation.

I am very happy to see Morita Misako from the Naked Director in this show as Tsutsumi Shinichi's boss. She is a good actress and deserves it be in plenty of jdoramas. Along with Yoshida Yo who plays Marika's mother the acting talent in Tsuma, Shougakusei ni Naru is amazing.

I have two complaints about Tsuma, Shougakusei ni Naru. First is that the job stories involving Tsutsumi Shinichi's workplace are just poorly written. Everything is lacking in the details and just kills the believability.

The second complaint is that I didn't like the two endings and felt the writer was trying to milk way too much emotion by episode 10 my heartstrings were not being tugged. Jdoramas love creating moving moments but when they too manipulative which often happens, I just go the other way.

While watching Tsuma, Shougakusei ni Naru, I went back on forth between calling this must watch and very good. In the end, it is still a very good jdorama and a surprising one, especially from TBS. Give it a shot and I think you will be hooked from episode 1. Very watchable. Thanks to aoihachi for subbing!

No comments: