Monday, May 02, 2022

Izakaya Shinkansen Episodes 1~5

Izakaya Shinkansen combines two of my favourite things about Japan, food and bullet trains!  It is about a salaryman Takamiya who travels on shinkansens a lot and takes the time to gather the local food from whatever stop he is at.

Back in the pre-covid days I loved getting food from train stations and 551 Horai was my favourite from Shin Osaka. Waiting for shinkansen was never boring because you could walk around the station and look at various local foods.

Takamiya goes a step further and actually runs around the cities looking for the perfect food and drink for his izakaya. OK, Izakaya Shinkansen is basically and advertisement for various food stores but I am not complaining. I love that the first two episodes were about Aomori and Sendai, the last two places I went back in 2019 before the pandemic.

What I don't like is Takamiya spends a lot of time on his phone taking pictures and chatting with his online friends about the food etc. The 22 minute runtime just feels too long compared to Nihon Boro Yado Kiko which was just right.

I feel like Izakaya Shinkansen should be 15 minutes instead of 22. It would have cut out the fat and would have been easier to watch.  I think I will finish Izakaya Shinkansen but it will be slowly. I just zone out every time the sns chats happen. Meh.

No comments: