Saturday, March 26, 2022

DCU jdorama review

The good news about DCU: Deep Crime Unit is that Abe Hiroshi and Nakamura Anne in a in big budget coast guard show. The bad news is its on TBS so the best we can hope for is Japan Sinks level which is watchable but nowhere near WOWOW quality.

There's a lot of diving in DCU which is great because normally in jdoramas its always abandoned warehouses so something different is nice. Abe's good friend who happens to be Nakamura Anne's older brother died mysterious years ago and Seno was rescued by Abe during the same incident is now in the DCU.

THE GOOD

+ DCU has a good cast and they try.


THE BAD

- I hate this guy playing the police officer overacting like an anime character.

- DCU has a very weak and unrealistic terrorist storyline. Everything Gaiji Keisatsu does right, DCU does wrong.

- I get confused about DCU jurisdictional boundaries. They can just do whatever they want.

- Idiot Seno character keeps suspecting Abe for stupid reasons and doesn't arrest terrorist on sight. I get that writer needs to create tension between characters but there are levels of stupidity that I cannot tolerate.

- Feels like they are writing the show around the locations like aquariums and onsens because they want some sort of diving in every episode. Since they are coast guards, how about more maritime incidents and crimes?

SUMMARY

I really wanted DCU to be Japan Sinks level of flawed but doesn't suck. Instead DCU is just boring and bad and falls flat on its ambitions. I don't know why I finished it but I there were parts that I skimmed especially the last episode. Avoid.

No comments: