Saturday, January 16, 2021

Alice in Borderland review

WHAT IS IT ABOUT?

Alice in Borderland is a Netflix tv show which is a cross between Gantz and Liar game. The story is about a bunch of people are transported to an empty Tokyo where electronics do not work to participate in deadly games in order to extend their visas and continue living.

Our main character is a chap named Arisu, the black sheep of his family who spends his time playing smartphone games and his smartphone game skills help him to survive the Borderland because every game as a solution like Liar Game. So if you parents are nagging you about being on your phone all the time, point them to this show.

THE GOOD

+ Its an action suspense jdorama with a very significant budget. Normal jdoramas can't get this type of budget no matter how many Johnnys you throw at it.

+ Great suspense because anyone can die similar to Gantz.

+ The Shibuya scenes in the first episode and scenes are empty Tokyo are so real. Rarely do I think about how good the CG is when watching jdoramas.

+ Tsuchiya Tao makes for a pretty good action heroine. 

+ The action scenes are really good. Better than the crap that Miike Takashi shoots.

+ I watched the whole 8 episodes in one day. Super engrossing.

THE BAD

- The ending ends in a cliffhanger and how I view the series on the whole will depend on what the truth about Borderland is. I am not going to lie and I wish they could have put the money into a Gantz live action series but it would have cost twice as much.

SUMMARY

Alice in Borderland is a well done action suspense jdorama and I am so happy to see one that is not constrained by budget and has good actions scenes. Well done to the director Sato Shinsuke who did the Gantz movies and Inuyashiki. Must watch and please support it on Netflix.

5 comments:

Rick said...

Sorry, I think there's a typo and I don't understand:
"The ending ends in a cliffhanger and how I view the series will depend on how the truth."

Akiramike said...

@Rick: Thanks for pointing that out. Sentence fixed, I think.

Anonymous said...

There will be a second season (if you didn't know)

Akiramike said...

@Anonymous: Can't wait for the second season!

hamanosilence said...

I agree with your review and I was also well entertained, although the solution of the last "game" in season 1 was actually pretty obvious considering how they build up the show ^^.

I have hopes and fears for the second season ...