Friday, October 23, 2020

35-sai no Shoujo Episodes 1+2

I don't normally go for Shibasaki Kou doramas but she did a great job with Saka no Tochuu no Ie that she is no longer in my actresses to avoid list. If you have not seen, Saka no Tochuu no Ie, I strongly recommend you seek it out as the writing is ace.

35-sai no Shoujo is the story of a 10 year old girl Nozomi waking out of a coma and finding herself in a 35 year old body. Her parents are old and divorced and her sister is in her 30s and her crush is a former school teacher.

I rather enjoyed the first two episodes and I feel the concept has many elements to explore such as Shibasaki Kou's character Nozomi has to grow up a lot in a short amount of time. Normally we would measure that in years and that is by going to school and interacting with similar aged kids but what can a 10 year old in an adult body do?

How long will it take Nozomi to integrate into society? Is having the mental ability of a 10 year old mean that she is disabled? How much longer are her parents obligated to care for her? She would need to finish her middle school degree to get jobs.


I like the character of Hirose Yuto, Nozomi's crush. He is a character who is a nice person but has become disillusioned with society and Nozomi's innocence reminds Yuto of the hope that he once had.

So far, the first two episodes are watchable and it has the potential to be a fun series. 35-sai no Shoujo has a kind of early 2000s jdorama flavour. Forgot to mention, love seeing Suzuki Honami as the mom.

3 comments:

suppaf said...

I was curious about your opinion about this drama (I just watched ep1), but as a bonus I discovered "Saka no Tochuu no Ie" that I had completely missed. Thanks ^^

Akiramike said...

@suppaf: Saka no Tochuu no Ie is really good but I don't think many watched it.

Robert said...

Thanks for recommending this. I was initially intrigued by this show because of the cast, and Shibasaki Kou's good work on Saka no Tochu no Ie, as you mention. But the slightly far-fetched premise makes this something not to my usual taste and I was going to pass on it. Fortunately it turns out that these first two episodes were really good. Very watchable indeed, and I'm keen to see where this is going to go.